Juvenile Rotkeil Severum Sexing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I hope all is well with you and your tanks. I was wondering if anyone who was experienced with Rotkeil Severum could take a look at my juveniles and tell me if they can tell any hints at the gender. I know it can be really hard to sex juveniles so if it is still too early no worries, but I am seeing some very distinct differences between the two.

Here's #1
11011940_1404974559832646_4347454823960356970_n.jpg

This one has way darker vertical bars, and much darker pectoral fins with black on them, even though this one is smaller than the other.

Here's #2
1459788_1404974616499307_2086076571867480880_n.jpg

This one is considerably larger than the first one, but has very faint vertical bars, and no black on the pectoral fins. They are showing the beginnings of red on their belly.

I am hoping to end up with a male and a female ideally, but I have a backup plan if they end up being two males. Thanks for any and all advice you guys might have!

-Robert

Thank you! Man I was hoping to end up with a male and a female. I will see if the store I bought them from has any more and if they would swap one out for a male. I don't necessarily want fry or anything, I just want to observe their mating habits. I am also moving all my Rainbowfish to a 125g, so the 75g will be all for the Severum, a pair of Rams and some Corydoras. I think that will help the Severum to grow more quickly because right now they are being outcompeted for food by the Rainbows.

They're still not old enough to be showing the worming yet. I guess I will just have to wait until they mature some more. *sigh* I am just impatient and I want them to mature faster lol

Back
Top Bottom