jwh0818's 210g tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
My wife confirmed it! I'm getting a 125g tank oh yeah! So I did some measuring and all and I believe without a doubt that my floor can hold a 125g (maybe brookster can help with that) so I'm gonna go for it! Now the stocking plan is Africans because they are very colorful and my son loves fish! It's gonna be a slow process for sure maybe over the next month and a half until tank arrives since its gonna have to be ordered.

Filtration? Was told sunsun 404b is a great cheap filter so how many would I need?

Stocking will be Africans but don't have a specific list yet by any means! Maybe I can get some recommendations on that?

Substrate will be PFS no doubt. Gonna add rocks in for little caves and hiding places! I was thinking about painting the back but it's gonna be in front of my car port window and we sit out there alot and grill and what not so I'm not gonna!

More to come for sure but will be slow over the next 3 weeks! Was too excited not to write this!

I'm in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha! Question! From what I've read, average homes built have a 40lb per square foot safe load. When you're calculating the total average safe load you would use this formula. Length of tank perpendicular to joist X length of floor joist X 40 being safe load per foot. It would look like this for my house since its older and each section of joist are only 6 feet long connecting to another beam and so on. I find it weird since most are build 12 ft and what not but 6x6x40? I'm not a skilled construction person! Bit of each joist is only 6ft long and bricked up wouldn't that pit me way beyond that standard safe load?

Man.. to much math. Codes vary state to state. What do you have for floor joist? Are you putting it against an exterior or load bearing wall? What do you have for flooring. When you walk.in the room to the floors bounce?

Man.. to much math. Codes vary state to state. What do you have for floor joist? Are you putting it against an exterior or load bearing wall? What do you have for flooring. When you walk.in the room to the floors bounce?

The joist are 2x10's every 16 inches. Yes it's going against a load bearing wall. Floors are plywood covered by old old vinyl like material. This particular area appears to not bounce but vibrate a bit. Some other parts of the house bounce like the hallway

It should be fine as is. I would personally throw up a 2x4 temp wall under it to reduce bounce. Stud under each joist with a top.and bottom plate. Screw a 2x4 in the middle across the span to keep them from bowing. Gauruntee solid!

It should be fine as is. I would personally throw up a 2x4 temp wall under it to reduce bounce. Stud under each joist with a top.and bottom plate. Screw a 2x4 in the middle across the span to keep them from bowing. Gauruntee solid!

The house only sits 6" off the ground! How would I do a temp wall?

Hey brookster I forgot, my 75g was against a load bearing wall parallel to the joist and I did see the water move a bit when walking through the living room where it was located. This tank will be perpendicular across the joist on another load bearing wall

Dirt ground or cement?

Dirt ground unfortunately. House is in an old flood zone that doesn't flood anymore. It sits on blocks

It should be fine man, I wouldn't worry about failure, just a bounce is all.

It should be fine man, I wouldn't worry about failure, just a bounce is all.

Yeah I think I've come to that conclusion. I am gonna attempt to brace under the span like you said though for peace of mind!

Another thing you can do is. Get a 12' pressure treated 2x12 and bolt it to the bottom if the floor joists with 2.5" ledger locks. Than dig in a board flat on the ground and add legs from that to 2x12. The 2x12 alone will make a big difference, ties the floor system together. The kickers will seal the deal. No bounce.

Another thing you can do is. Get a 12' pressure treated 2x12 and bolt it to the bottom if the floor joists with 2.5" ledger locks. Than dig in a board flat on the ground and add legs from that to 2x12. The 2x12 alone will make a big difference, ties the floor system together. The kickers will seal the deal. No bounce.

You ever see a 2x12 strapped to the roof of a little Chevy Cruz? Haha looks hilarious! I have to make sure I can get under the house first! Fun spiders!

Currently I'm working on stocking ideas. Any suggestions? There had to be color. Lots of color. I would also like fish that grow to around 5" or so and fish that can be ordered from Dave's rare fish

Are you set on Africans?

Back
Top Bottom