Keegster803's shelldweller 10gal build thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I have been researching Shelldwellers for a while now, and I'm ready to dive in. I currently am converting my corydoras fry tank into a shelldweller tank. And recommendations on the stock? I was thinking some neolamprologus ocellatus, or maybe some neolamprologus brevis

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

15 gallon or 20L would be better suited IMO. 10g are really only good for lightly stocked multi tanks.

15 gallon or 20L would be better suited IMO. 10g are really only good for lightly stocked multi tanks.

Lol I have a pair of ocellatus in a 10 gallon ;)

But to be honest, Mog is right. A 10 gallon can be difficult to observe the true behavior of these fish. I normally would have the occies in a 20 but I have a non-bonded pair of them, so I am not currently breeding that species. If you do go with the ten, make sure to grow out fry in a separate tank

Lol I have a pair of ocellatus in a 10 gallon ;)

But to be honest, Mog is right. A 10 gallon can be difficult to observe the true behavior of these fish. I normally would have the occies in a 20 but I have a non-bonded pair of them, so I am not currently breeding that species. If you do go with the ten, make sure to grow out fry in a separate tank

I am only doing a pair in the 10 gal as I want to keep down the aggression. And sadly my parents won't allow me to get another tank. I do have a 20gal but it currently stocked with cories, and I heard that the Shellie's would kill them

I am only doing a pair in the 10 gal as I want to keep down the aggression. And sadly my parents won't allow me to get another tank. I do have a 20gal but it currently stocked with cories, and I heard that the Shellie's would kill them

They will more than likely harass them to death, yes.

If youre doing a 10 gallon, I would stick to either multifasciatus, similis, or maybe occelatus (mine were just moved to a 10 gallon so I'm not sure how well it is going to work). I've seen some chunky brevis before

I heard that a good rule of thumb for species like ocellatus that there should be 5 gallons per fish, is that a good rule to follow?

Really depends on the species, and gallons don't mean much, it's the footprint that does

Thanks.
Update: I ordered three dozen escargot shells and shipping just confirmed it was shipped today. They are the extra large ones 1-2inches wide. My LFS has several species of neolamprologus, including multis, brevis, gold occies, similis, pearly occies, and a couple others I can't remember. The tank is already cycled and has African cichlid sand substrate. I can't put any livestock in yet as I have some paellatus Cory fry in there.

Just know that once you add shellies, no other fish can be added to that tank. It's a struggle to include tankmates with shellies in small tanks

Update: I got the shells yesterday night and rinsed them all out and put them in the tank 36 shells in total, most a little over an inch. Now I just gotta evict my baby cories, and I can finally start to look into livestock

2-2.5" I believe, they're also chunkier than many of the small shellies

Update: I went to my LFS and found out they currently have lamprologus cylindricus, telmatochromis vittatus, and lamprologus signatus

None of those are suited for a 10g IMO. Also I believe two are shell spawners not dwellers.

If I only get a pair, which species could I stock in my tank? I'm willing to do >50% water changes per week if need be

It's not a question of bioload, as Kylefreakgecko stated its a matter of floor space. Your best option is multis and even so that's a stretch.

Back
Top Bottom