Kenyi babies! At last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sayanth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just saw my kenyi mom spit . Got 18 fries.! Its my first spawn. Any tips one the fries? It would been a great help.thax in advance

First spawns are always exciting, having hundreds of fry growing out and crowding the tank, not so much. (One of the reasons I like African cichlids...) if you have an lfs that will at least give you store credit in exchange you're good; otherwise, what will you do with them when they grow larger? Best bet for growing out fry is their own tank, otherwise let the female release them in the main tank and see how many survive on their own. Usually 1 or a few will beat the odds against them, like in nature, and the fittest will take their place in the community. If you have too many fry and nowhere for them to go long-term a predatory fish to eat excess fry is a good alternative. I keep yellow Lab's in my 220. and a zebra knife keeps them from running amok. Carapo knife in a 90 with mbuna and peacocks does the same thing.
I have raised several different species of SA and CA cichlids that produced 100+ eggs/fry each spawn, as well as an African cichlid in the brichardi complex that became real issues as the fry grew and overcrowded the tanks. They ended up as feeders or simply culls. Nobody wants or needs dozens or hundreds of any fish....

Thax.i hav them i a 20 gal alone. They ar eating fine. Feeding crushed spirliuna pellets 4 times a day.i heard spirliuna is good.is it?

Back
Top Bottom