Kenyi color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a blue kenyi as a juvenile a few months ago. It was completely light blue with faint stripes. It was about an inch long and now it is closer to 4 inches long and has slight yellow on its tail
And dorsal fin and it's stripes are either completely black or faint. I know that males and female are all blue as juveniles but the males turn yellow when sexually matured so I vented my kenyi and it appears to be a girl. I have read about there being some female kenyis turning yellow and that if the dominant cichlid is a female it is not uncommon for it to take on male colors. Mine is the dominant fish of the tank. I'll take some pictures when I am home tomorrow Any suggestions?

Another member on here had the same thing happening with his female auratus showing male colors. You have any male kenyi? If not that could be the reason

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Female Kenyi's will take on male traits (egg spots, turning yellow) when they are brooding, or preparing to lay eggs.

One member on here's Kenyi went full yellow while holding.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401605833.502537.jpg
While holding my kenyi had a bit of yellow. I think this was to keep her man off. He kept chasing and flashing her days after breeding. I have other females that he pursued after she went yellow.

Come to think of it before she was ready to lay she had a bit of yellow too.

Smart thing to do lol

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is my female kenyi and her fry. She has been yellow since about 2". We had another kenyi for a short time recently, that's when we found out she was a female.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401670972.734783.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401671003.583013.jpg

This is my female kenyi and her fry. She has been yellow since about 2". We had another kenyi for a short time recently, that's when we found out she was a female.

View attachment 239139View attachment 239140

This is who I was talking about. This makes me miss breeding Kenyi's now. The adults aren't that great, but a tank full of Kenyi fry is so awesome. Here's mine from a few years ago. I had all sorts of Juvinilles in this grow out tank at one point.

http://youtu.be/slId9CSk4_Q

Squirrilah, what is the food that you push against the glass? I've seen it in a few videos. Sorry for the off-topic question.

Oh, those are ok for herbivores? The fish go crazy for them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Probably not the best choice, it's definitely a treat. But for growing fish, it's a good protein source.

Back
Top Bottom