Keyhole cichlid stressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ecoman29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 4 keyholes, 3 Clown Loaches and Bristle Nose Plecos. 3 of Keyholes are fine but one is all black and hiding in a piece of pottery in the tank. Is this normal for breeding. Or the fish really stressed out. Doesn't really associated with any of the other fish. Is there anything I can do to help. Tanks got a ton of plants and rocks, drift wood and hiding places. My heater on the tank almost made it a fish boil. I have another heater in there. Water temp is at 72F. Any ideas or thoughts thanks. Oh yeah my tank is a 29 gallon tank.

That tank is much too small for that many keyholes, let alone the clown loaches. A pair of keyhole should really be in a 20 long and the minimum, a 30 being better. These are 4-5 inch fish and stay mostly towards the bottom.

Welcome to the forum. Freak is correct, your tank is too small. Clown loaches get rather large. I assume your fish are small right now, just plan to get a larger tank or rehome eventually. What are your water parameters? It's probably stressing the keyhole. Also raise your water temp to around 77-78.

Everyone in the tank is rather small right now. I figured out two of the keyholes were pairing off. So I gave the other two keyholes to a friend. Once I did that the colors changed dramatically. I also have a 100 gallon tank just not setup there is water in it with a bunch of plants just no fish. I am going to move the loaches into that tank once there are larger. What type of things do the keyholes need to breed (Good coverage, space,hard or soft materials)?

Thank you! I really appreciate the help. My fish most definitely do too!

Back
Top Bottom