kribensis breeding advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracygriffin65

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I'm new to this site, and frankly to forum posting, so please be gentle ☺
I have a pair of Kribs. They had some fry, I was so excited when I first saw them ?. However as the week went on they became less and less. The parents were extremely vigilant in protecting them and there is numerous places to hide as I have a large planted tank with bogwoods, rocks and shells. By 2 weeks all the fry had gone.
Could it be the parents that are the problem, could they be eating them?
They now have a new batch of fry, again lots of excitement from me.
Is there anything i can do to ensure at least some of these survive?
Big thanks to any input
Tracy

Hi there, I'm new to this site, and frankly to forum posting, so please be gentle ☺
I have a pair of Kribs. They had some fry, I was so excited when I first saw them ?. However as the week went on they became less and less. The parents were extremely vigilant in protecting them and there is numerous places to hide as I have a large planted tank with bogwoods, rocks and shells. By 2 weeks all the fry had gone.
Could it be the parents that are the problem, could they be eating them?
They now have a new batch of fry, again lots of excitement from me.
Is there anything i can do to ensure at least some of these survive?
Big thanks to any input
Tracy

Welcome to aquarium advice! :welcome: I've never bred kribs, but I have bred apistogramma and their spawning behaviors are very similar. Do you have tank mates in there with your kribs? If so it would make sense that fry are getting picked off over time. If you are looking to raise fry move all other tank mates out of the tank. Another problem could be water quality. Make sure to perform regular water changes to keep water quality up as fry can be very sensitive to pollutants in the water. If you have a power/canister filter you should also make sure to cover the intake with sponge otherwise fry will be sucked in. My last recommendation will be food. Frozen baby brine shrimp is a great food to grow fry quickly. A few feedings of frozen BBS a day will make sure the fry are getting proper nutrition until they can switch over to dry food in a few weeks. There are a lot of recommendations in this post so you can chose what you want to try in order to increase your success. (y)

Back
Top Bottom