Kribensis cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a male/female pair of kribs in a 125 gallon community. My female was very plump, with a bright pink belly when I got her, but now not so much...I've had the same pair for months and she just lost that punk color over time (there's still a hinnnnt of pink but not much.)

So my question is, is that normal? Do they only show color like that when breeding? At the store, I watched them for a good hour on and off, and this male was protecting this female from others, so I assumed they would pair. I don't actually care if they breed (although that would be a nice bonus). I just want to make sure they're healthy and in shape.

I'm thinking of moving them into a 55 gallon that would be "theirs" aside from some neon tetra and red minor tetra....less busy and I thought maybe it would help their stress levels???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It seems to me that they just aren't in the breeding mood but they can be highly aggressive when breeding. If your looking to breed them they need a separate tank and they love coconuts to breed in.

As someone looking to start a 35 (long) with a kribensis pair, do you think 7 or so cardinal tetras, a pair of GBR, and POSSIBLY a betta sorority (5 of them).. Would be safe, should the kribs begin breeding and get aggressive.

I would suggest starting a new thread, this is known as hijacking, but to answer your question: up the school of cardinals, and pick one of the "centerpiece fish". Either a sorority, a pair of GBR OR a pair of kribs. That's my honest opinion

Would a 20 long be sufficient to breed them? I actually don't reallllly care if they breed- just want to make sure the lack of color is normal if they're not "in the mood" so to speak ;)

Personally I think they will be happier with their own coconut cave to the side of the tank. Add a few plants around it. Maybe try two or three of these in different locations of the tank and they'll pick which one they like best. You can try this in the 125g first they might be fine in their current environment. If you are choosing from the 55g and 20g I will opt for the 55g along with the tetras. I don't think they'll feel bothered by them. Maybe use the 20g as a backup though if you feel they are getting too aggressive during breeding behavior.

Hope this video helps to.

I don't think I would ever keep them in the 20- maybe just if they felt like breeding once or twice? I really dont keep fish to breed so I doubt if ever go that route unless I really wanted to try breeding. I'll likely keep them in the 55 or 125 where they're at. I can add a coconut shell in there if they like it. Being that I also have pictus cats in there, I doubt fry would survive in this tank at all....:-/

To be honest I have the same problem with my pictus catfish and new fry in the tank. I love my pictus but looking to move him or her on because I am making the tank suitable for cichlids, so a higher ph tank.

You never know adding the coconut shells may bring back that nice colour you've been looking for. Generally if they are not being bullied then they should be fine in their tanks.

All the best :)

Thanks! I don't SEE them being bullied....but that doesn't mean they aren't. I could hide a coconut shell behind the crypt forest for them- or since the tank is so big, add another male/female pair...or just two more females- maybe a little competition for the male would help? I'll have to read up on that though first, and get advice from you all ;)

I love my 3 pictus- they're always active and fun, swimming through the plants and rocks- but thinking of rehoming if I found the right person :-/

Update- I added 2 pairs of kribs to my 125 gallon and now everyone has perked right up! I've got 4 official caves for them, plus other rock work they could make for caves if they wanted. All will be moving to a 240 gallon in just a couple weeks! I did have to rehome the pictus catfish, as one of the big ones ate my eel ?

I find them interesting to watch- as the original pair has picked new mates. Although I can't tell who belongs with who any more. I see 4 or more together pretty often. The females are way more feisty than the males and I think they might not like my angelfish- so I've added all those caves to keep them busy and have a place of their own to guard....away from everyone else lol...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434000700.556514.jpg

New update: note to self. Adding more kribs isn't always the best. One of the new pairs is trying to kill my angels. The original pair had paired back up again, and they seem dominant now, but still peaceful towards the other fish they've been living with for a year. The female that's new seems to try and challenge the original female, and now this new one wants to just kill everything that's slower (my angels) I've caught one pair of them, and moved them to my 55 gallon with barbs and tetras. I took the ram pair out and put them with the male apisto group so we will see how all this moving goes! I may end up moving the other krib pair to the 55 as well but we will see...

To be honest I wouldn't keep kribs,Rams or apistos together.Especially pairs as unless the tank is pretty big and densely decorated there is bound to be fighting.Its inevitable and fish will be killed in the process.Rams aren't too bad but kribs and apistos can be downright nasty to others when breeding or trying to breed.

To be honest I wouldn't keep kribs,Rams or apistos together.Especially pairs as unless the tank is pretty big and densely decorated there is bound to be fighting.Its inevitable and fish will be killed in the process.Rams aren't too bad but kribs and apistos can be downright nasty to others when breeding or trying to breed.

The Rams and apistos are fine together - kribs not so much. They're feisty! So I've got all the kribs separated into two tanks. The "nicer" pair lives with the Angels in the 125 and the other 4 are in the 55. If they pair up I'll move one pair into my 30 or 40 gallon.....and the Rams and apistos live in peace and harmony in my jungle tank ? but they're pretty chill little fish - I got lucky with nice calm dwarf cichlids on those guys ;)

The dominant (and original) krib pair spawned! I saw the babies just yesterday. I sure hope they are there this morning! They live in the 125 community still. I've heard often the first batch doesn't make it. These are the first babies I've ever seen from them, but they did this spawning behavior once before too...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437146427.885651.jpg

Thanks! I'm sorta trying to keep track on here for if I get another batch of fry from them or my other pairs!

Today they're a week old and getting brave. The other fish decided they could hang up on mom and dad if they all swooped in for a snack at once!!! ??? luckily, those babies are actually pretty quick, and if any were lost- it was only a few. I helped get the other fish over to the opposite end of the tank with food, and mom and dad krib gathered their troops and moved them to a more secure location ;)

It may be time to think about relocating them to a fry tank? If anyone's still paying attention - do you move your fry, and if so, when? With or without mom and dad?

Back
Top Bottom