Kribensis pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olewillis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 75 gallon planted tank(no co2). I would like to stock the tank with tetra's like cardinal, red eye, and bleeding heart. Would it be viable to also having a breeding pair of kirbensis?

1. Would they be ok with the plants?
2. Would the kill an of my fish while spawning?(being territorial is not kill)

Kribs are known to eat plants but of course there will be people that have successfully done it before and as for the tetras, the smaller ones might be lunch. Again you never know. IMO you are better off with the larger ones like Buenos Aires or Black Skirt. Cardinals I would be afraid for.
As for plants look at Java Fern as most fish dont like the taste and you might have some luck with anubias which are both low light plants. Also since african cichlids will root around in the substrate you are better off with floating plants or ones you can tie/glue to drift wood or other decorations.

I have a pair of kribensis and they were pretty nice to the plants although occasionally they do try to give it a nip or two. (I have some java moss/onion plants). For plants, definitely make sure it is planted in well because if possible the kribensis will try it's best to uproot it.

When they pair up and are in breeding mode, they get very aggressive. You would need some really fast fish that can evade the kribensis or you will have yourself some dead fish, theres no doubt about that.

I have a small platy, I mean small and my kribensis never bothered it even during their mating season. So it really does depend on its temperament.

Well I really would like the plants to not be bothered. I have a rather large amazon sword. Does anyone know of another pair of chiclid I could breed that won't bother tetras and work with plants? Maybe angelfish?

Here is my tank!

Attachments

• image-676572259.jpg
    image-676572259.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 78
How is your water? Do you use ro/di water? Lots of apistogrammas (dwarf cichlids) are awesome and fairly easy to breed but your ph, kh, and dh will come into play in terms of survival and also sex ratios. Plus they won't get fairly large so they would be nice in the 75 gallon and they leave the plants alone unless they are desperate.

Back
Top Bottom