Kribs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owl307

Aquarium Advice Freak
I believe my kribs spawned fri. or sat. Unfortunatly i want to know if they ate thier eggs or not. The female is coming out more but is still constantly going in the one cave.She started shimmying in front of the male though so that makes me wonder. She used to make sure no one was looking before she entered a cave but now she doesnt care who sees her. Both male and female are very aggresive.i have found that the pleco who could usually scare them away was being chased away by the pair today.I have only seen the male go in the cave once or twice a few days ago. Now when it gets dark he takes a position by the front of the pot gaurding it. Do you think they still have eggs? The water temp is 75. The tank size is a 40g also in the tank are 6 ameca splendons 4 golden wonder killies and 3 female 1 male other kribs. I just found out today that i think one of my kribs who was sopposed to be a male might be a female. Oh also a a bristle nose pleco.

The only way to know for sure is to look. Since you cannot see into the cave, let them be. This is probably their first time and there will be mistakes. The kribs could eat the eggs, the eggs may not be fertilized, there could be no eggs (just practice). Their behavior says they are mating--it's a good sign!
With respect to the other tank mates watch the aggression. You may need to separate the happy parents, or set up a quarantine tank for any fish who gets beat up. 40 gallons may seem like a lot of room to you, but the kribs could easily take over the whole tank. The kribs may get exhausted defending their territory and the stress on the other fish could lead to illness. Be prepared and enjoy!

thanks.i do have a plan for fish that arent going to work out in the tank. But right now everything is going fine.this is their first time. They are keeping up with the whole egg display so i am getting a little excited.the male likes to circle the cave. Its funny to watch. I noticed that they parents scratched once or twice. is this normal. there is no visible parasite so i am not to concerned but its best to be prepared. Thanks again.
Melani

Back
Top Bottom