kribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveho

Aquarium Advice Freak
well im back and this time with cichlids. i had a spare 20gal sitting around so i thought id try a pair of kribs in the tank to themselves
first i got the fatest most brightly coloured girl i could find i also got a male from the same tank which was a tad smaller then her. which was a mistake. she bullied him the second they went in.
so i returned the male to another lfs where i saw a single male who is just a bit bigger then my female so a deal was struck and that brings us to today. where the girl is following the boy around with her perctoral fins lowered slightly (to make herself look fatter?) im just wondering what to expect from here. also should i add a few barbs as dither fish???

any info on kribs is appriciated

I've never heard of kribs before,sorry, buy I had two oscars together, two angels, two rainbowfish, two pictus, etc. In my experience through many tanks and species I have yet to find a species that does well with only two. I have to say go with only 1 or go with 5.

its my understanding they get quite agressive during mating which is my goal here so im sort of unsure if 20 gal would be enough to add a few barbs to?

and now the female is swimming sideways with her belly out to the male. lol what awsome fish

Oh wow I did have an albino kribs! Totally forgot. I actually kept mine with a few tiger barbs and giant danios

I love kribs!! :) I have 4 in my tank! They are so expressive and fun to watch! I love watching them sift through the sand.

Attachments

• image-2580392212.jpg
    image-2580392212.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 104
well i think so far they are loving there tank its abit barron atm though i plan to plant it heavy

id use danios instead of barbs.fast enough to get away,but not a big bioload

If you want to breed keep them by themselves. Mine have had quite a few batches, all get gobbled up quickly. I stopped keeping them in their own tank because they were so prolific.

Give them caves because they lay eggs on the roofs of caves. Mine dug a pit under a piece of slate and laid the eggs on the roof.

I think these are like guppies as far as breeding goes, just add water.

Just add water is right.

Don't bother trying to curb any aggression between the male and female. It's just their idea of courtship.

Be prepared for LOTS of fry. They will spawn about every 30 days, I've had as many as 150 fry in a single spawn. The lfs wouldn't take them until they were 5 months old. You're going to need lots of grow out tanks.

haha dont worry im sure i can find homes. i have rehomed about 1000 mollies in the last year. and only in the last month have people been willing to pay for em..... still the last 50 i got 50 buckes for woot. anyway back on topic ill post pics as soon as i get a good one of them fry wise i dont think ill have an issue as i had to travel to 2 diffrent pet stores to a deffinate male and deffinate female. there arnt heeps of kribs round here. u know i think i like these guys more then my blue rams

daveho said:
haha dont worry im sure i can find homes. i have rehomed about 1000 mollies in the last year. and only in the last month have people been willing to pay for em..... still the last 50 i got 50 buckes for woot. anyway back on topic ill post pics as soon as i get a good one of them fry wise i dont think ill have an issue as i had to travel to 2 diffrent pet stores to a deffinate male and deffinate female. there arnt heeps of kribs round here. u know i think i like these guys more then my blue rams

Any babies yet?

I looked in a shell that the parents have been guarding for a while now and I have fry!!! So excited! I hope they make it!

Back
Top Bottom