Kribs breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am pretty certain that my Kribs that I finally paired up are breeding. My only concern is that I am mistaking their behavior and that the male is getting beat up. While the female always has, the male is now also displaying a redish/purple belly. With the little dance they do, they do a bunch of what looks to be posturing and showing off, but it is always followed by them going head to head with their gills flared out and then running at each other. Is this normal? Should I move one of the fish or is this truly just part of their routine? Being in a community tank (25 gal.) the female is now also starting to chase other fish as well. I would move her and him to a 15 gal. breeding tank I have, but then I imagine it would be even harder for him to get away if he had to. Any help in what I should do or look for next would be helpful.

That's typical spawning behavior jonnyb. If you have a 15g breeding tank, you can use two or more clay pots. This will serve as either a breeding site, or escape place for the more timid of the two. :wink:

I'd definitely move them. Once the kribs lay their eggs, they will terrorize the entire tank. I lost 2 rummy nose tetra and a SAE to my spawning kribs, all in the same night. The SAE actually carpet surfed, through the 2" opening at the back of the tank lid.

This happens, After my cribs spawn and the fry are eventually removed from the tank, they begin to get ready to spawn again. During this time (preparing) the male and male always seam not to get along; however they are fine really. Also when they do breed it seams as though the female "tells" the male of from time to time. This is perfectly normal. So I would look out for fry/eggs. If there are none of these then I am still pretty sure that they will eventually spawn. You will know this because the female will practically disappear and the male may even take food to her, like mine did. 8)

Back
Top Bottom