Lace Synsodontis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CRUSHER

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello...
well i aquired my lace synos yesterday... i dont like him already... he constantly terrorizes my green terror. thought cats were nocturnal and hid all day. plus i did a 50% water change yesterday and now my ammonia level is 0.50... water's cloudy, i put polishing pads in my filter about 2 hours ago..
any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Crusher

I had to re-home my Lace syno. He was being a real jerk as well. He couldn't 'eat' any of the other fish, but he would always fly through and knock them around.

With your ammonia... keep up the water changes...

.5 is still toxic. You should avoid adding any more fish to your tank until your cycle is finished and you're getting consistent levels of 0.

Do you know your nitrIte readings?

no, i do not know my nitrite reads.. i need to get a nitrite / nitrate tester.. i have the ammonia tester and the ph tester is all. Fish seem to be doing quite well, all active with no signs of illness... except my little oscar.. seems he gets pounded by all the other fish. have a 30 gal that i need to reseal and then set up... i'll put my little oscar in that till he gets a bit bigger.

no, i do not know my nitrite reads..

This is huge. If you have a low trace of ammonia, you might be in your nitrIte spike phase of your cycle. This would also be causing the water to be cloudy, it's part of the cycling process. NitrIte is very harmful to fish, and without knowing the exact reading it could be very very high because when the spike phase happens it shoots up very high. Your absolute first course of action must be getting a nitrIte test (Liquid). If you can't get one soon, do water changes every day in the meantime.

Fish seem to be doing quite well, all active with no signs of illness...

Fish will not always show signs of illness, even if they are living in absolutely toxic waters. Do not think that because they appear to be ok, that they really are.

. except my little oscar.. seems he gets pounded by all the other fish. have a 30 gal that i need to reseal and then set up... i'll put my little oscar in that till he gets a bit bigger.

Hmm. What size tank is this?

What is your complete stock list?

An oscar is going to need a 75g to himself when he becomes full size, unless you have a pretty big tank mixing him with a GT will probably be a bad idea.

steez said:
This is huge. If you have a low trace of ammonia, you might be in your nitrIte spike phase of your cycle. This would also be causing the water to be cloudy, it's part of the cycling process. NitrIte is very harmful to fish, and without knowing the exact reading it could be very very high because when the spike phase happens it shoots up very high. Your absolute first course of action must be getting a nitrIte test (Liquid). If you can't get one soon, do water changes every day in the meantime.

Fish will not always show signs of illness, even if they are living in absolutely toxic waters. Do not think that because they appear to be ok, that they really are.

Hmm. What size tank is this?

What is your complete stock list?

An oscar is going to need a 75g to himself when he becomes full size, unless you have a pretty big tank mixing him with a GT will probably be a bad idea.

+1 with steez

You need to be doing a minimum of 50% water change every day as a precaution. You need to get a test kit ASAP.
How long has the tank been set up?

Back
Top Bottom