Lake Tanganyika Build :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,

So i know i know that you saw the other thread with the SA and CA cichlid build thread but now ive fallen in love with tanganyika!
So my tank is a 46 gal and im planning on the following stock:
6 Lamprologus multifasciatus
4 Lamprologus brichardi
or 4 Julidochromis Dikfeldi

Please tell me your concerns and ideas, ill post photos when the tank is clear :D

multis are awesome and breed like crazy. Just have a lot of shells for them.

I'd go with ten multies instead of 6. You'll want 3 or 4 shells per fish. The way I read it, then you'll have either four N. brichardi or four J. dickfeldi? Either combo would work well, just put plenty of rock around the back and edges of the tank for the rock-dwelling brichardi or julies, with a shell bed in the center for the multies.

WYite

Ok 10! woah jeez, im definitly going to need to save A LOT of money to get 10 haha
Alright thats sounds great with the 4 other fish, any segguestions on which one to pick like with their benfits and thier not so good stuff?

Jason7894561230 said:
Ok 10! woah jeez, im definitly going to need to save A LOT of money to get 10 haha
Alright thats sounds great with the 4 other fish, any segguestions on which one to pick like with their benfits and thier not so good stuff?

I would start with 2-3 pairs of multies and by pairs I mean full grown sexable adult fish not 4- 6 juvies. They will start to reproduce quickly and will fill the tank with a nice colony in no time. Add 2-3 shells per fish.

alright ill ask the website if they can do that!
Tank has cleared up and my mum has gone and gotten me a prawn and my cycle should start in no time!
Also another question, should i add the multies first AND then the julieodchromis?

I like the idea, this is a scape suggestion-
Flat sand bottom with the shells on one side of the tank then a rock shelf on the other. Some small caves in the rock shelf and some near the bottom for the shellies. Then a couple shells scattered in the rockwork and some rocks scattered by the shells. Lots of hidey holes!

I'd go with 10 juvies, myself. Assuming ya can find sexed pairs for sale, unsexed juvies are still gonna be far cheaper than buying three sexed pairs, and the odds are in yer favor for ending up with at least three pair. Worst case scenario is the extras are all male and any odd balls will hafta wait until some of the fry from the pairs mature. Best case scenario is the extras are females, which is fine as these fish aren't strict pair breeders and don't form permanent pair bonds.

WYite

Thanks for the scape suggestion! I've got to find some more shells and make a few more caves but I'm liking the look at the moment

Ok I'll ask the dealer what he can do

Also here's a photo of the tank!

Attachments

• image-3145959620.jpg
    image-3145959620.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 184
Pam is here said:
Have you checked out frontosa? Sweet fish also

He has a 46 gallon tank and has been talking about small community cichlids that stay below 5 inches in length. Then you suggest Cyphotilapia frontosa a fish that reaches 15-17" and needs to be in large groups, brilliant.

Reactions: 5x5
Looks awesome, i really like the rock scape, and the plant. :)

thanks guys! I just tested the water with the parwn in it and the reults are very positive
Ammo 4.0
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 0
So the cycle has begun and no im in the process of looking for shell, i havent seen very many tanganyikan tanks on here, do you guys know who has one?

Ok great ill look around for some, but ive found some on the website i shall be ordering from called Delphinulas Shells which are apperntly great for shellies. Im also going to look for some in like cheap store and stuff because they normally always have some good sized shells there
Ill get the water tested again soon and im going to put a black backround on, i was thinking of doing a black water tank? Do Tanganyikan tanks do black water or is that morre centrel and south america?

Blackwater is water that is heavily stained with tanins, making the water acidic. South America is best known for blackwater habitats, but southeast Asia, west Africa and the southeast United States also have black water ecosystems. It is not appropriate for Rift Valley cichlids from Lakes Tanganyika, Malawi, and Victoria.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom