Large African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had two blue dolphin cichlids in my 40 gallon tank but when I was moving them to my new house in a bucket they died. The male was about 4 inches and the female was about 2. I picked blue dolphins because they can grow relatively large and I have always loved larger cichlids. What are some good types of cichs to replace them. I was thinking maybe Frontosa but they are very expensive around me.

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had two blue dolphin cichlids in my 40 gallon tank but when I was moving them to my new house in a bucket they died. The male was about 4 inches and the female was about 2. I picked blue dolphins because they can grow relatively large and I have always loved larger cichlids. What are some good types of cichs to replace them. I was thinking maybe Frontosa but they are very expensive around me.

You have a 40G... Not a 400...

You could barely fit Mbuna in there never mind a 10" Front...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had no problem keeping either in similar sized tanks for years. And like I said I want to try something new.

I agree with CCXGT. Haps should be in 6 foot tanks or at least a 75 gallon if you would like to keep smaller ones. Large haps and cichlids such as the cyrtocara moorii or the frontosa should definitely not be in a 40 gallon.

Yeah you definitely have too small of a tank for your tastes...but if you like larger Africans lemme recommend the Red Empress (Protomelas taeniolatus), Williamsi North (psuedotropheus), and the Venustus (Nimbochromis). Maybe you can grow them out in the 40 gal & upgrade to like a 75 or 125 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plan is to get a 75 gal tank this holiday season. How many mbuna like yellow labs can I keep in my 40?

If you keep it a species only tank using yellow or white labs, I'd say 6-8. Mixing mbuna, i wouldn't do in a 40 breeder. You simply can't maintain the correct m:f ratio for each species, and a male only tank won't have enough space for territories IMO

Back
Top Bottom