Large South American Tank Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rose22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of setting up a large South American Tank in my science classroom. I am thinking of doing an Oscar, severums, blood parrots, Jack dempsey, convict, pleco.

In it's final/adult stage, how big it a tank should I go to house these?

Also, does this look like an okay combination? How many of each would you suggest?

I have no cichlid experience but a decent amount of fish experience.

A common pleco? 90-125g minimum. And that's 1 of each. You should figure about 35g for each of those big guys. Oscars get huge. Blood parrot, jd, severum, pleco can be really large also

I have 2 oscars, 1 gold saum, 1 jd, 1 convict, 1 firemouth, 1 blood parrot and 1 black belt in a 215g and its borderline overstocked. There's still constant fighting and it's a 7' tank

Before I added the Saum, I had a severum in there. He got bullied alot, so I moved him to another. Every cichlid has a different personality and some ppl have severums running their tanks

Mk, so not enough space. Lol. This is why we ask. The area I have can for sure do a 4ft tank, possibly a 6, and can go 2ft deep. I'll measure when I get up there tomorrow to know for sure how big I can go.

Of the fish I listed, because they are readily available in my area, what would you use to stock say a 75 or a 125?

Sorry. I'd stay away from the oscar cuz they grow so fast and get so large. If you did a 75 or 90 you could do several convicts or firemouth or a few of each. 1 blood parrot, 1 jd or a couple of severum. It would still be a fun tank to watch and lots of activity

Also, just a side note, if you get several of one species and 2 pair up and decide to mate, during spawning all bets are off in reference to the well being of the other tank mates. Irregardless of what species. Cichlids become very protective and territorial during spawning

If you did the 6' 125g you could go with your original stocking idea, just stick to one of each. Always good with cichlids to have a back up plan, lol

So it's better to do like one of each kind then? Or does it depend on the type of fish? How do you know which ones are worse then others with aggression? In my research I just keep seeing that they are all aggressive. Lol.

Stocking cichlids is so much more complicated which is why it's taken me so long to commit to it...

Yeah, it is. We have over 70 cichlids of 18 species, and every single one is different. If you read they don't go together, then a dozen ppl will say they have done it, and vice versa. Some are more aggressive than others, for sure. Your list is more on the semi aggressive side. But semi aggressive in cichlid terminology means great white shark by tetra standards

Bahaha great white shark level. That's awesome.

I'd really just like to get some (5-7) largeish sized cichlids. I kind of want them each to be a different type. If you went with readily/easily/commonly available cichlids, how would you stock it?

If you could do the 125 I think your original list is good. That's almost what I have in the 215. I personally think severum are underrated and one of the most beautiful

I suggest, since you've already done some research, to find some species you like the looks of. Then see if "they" say they're compatible for the size tank you can get. And how many, if they make good tank mates, etc. There are a ton of cichlids out there. I have a bunch of lake malawi african species too. For them, the more the better as all males. They're gorgeous and super active

You could put 20-25 peacock cichlids in a 75 or 90. Or 15-20 and some dither fish like giant danios. I have 31 in a 4' 100 gallon. Lots going on and lots of color

I'm not sure the best way to ask this. Are gallons more important or area? A 120 will fit in the space I have for sure as it's only 4ft long. Could you stock that closer to like a 125 or does it need to stock closer to say a 75 because it's so short?

So I'm kind of looking towards 2 options for a 75/90.

Option 1 - "peaceful"
Gold severum
Turquoise severum
Blood parrot
Fire mouth

Option 2 - "aggressive"
JD
Fire mouth
Convict
Green terror

I'd still like to add one more fish to each of these. For some reason I want 5. Lol. Thoughts?

The length is more important with the more aggressive fish, hence they can run farther away, lol. I say go for option 1 and for #5 get a blue acara. They're pretty laid back as far as cichlids go and it'll give you a really pretty multi colored tank. And your right, a 4' x 18" or 24" tank stocks about the same. A 75 is much cheaper too, usually

Back
Top Bottom