Lethargic johanni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
Fish went in Friday after everything was perfect. Johanni started flashing against the rocks a little bit but nothing too excessive. Now he won't take food and seems to want to just nap in a cave. I'm new to this. Help. 2 of the other 7 fish are pacing the side of the tank as well but still eating. Doing a 25% change tomorrow. Noticed the flakes I'm feeding them are high in protein

Update: lights out at 10:15 and he began swimming around the tank. Will continue to monitor his behavior and switch to a plant based diet. Maybe I'm just a paranoid new fish owner.

Update 2: 11am. A little more active but white stringy poo. Have water ready for a 20% change. Is there a less stressful way to change the water besides siphoning out the old and pouring in the new? Any other course of action I can take?

Actually water changes aren't stressful to fish but benificial... I Do 30-50 % in all my tanks about every 5 days. When I Do big cleans can be up to 75%( everything out of tank but fish). Your benificial bacteria is in your filter media mainly and your substrate, NOT the water. Try feeding some blanched deskinned peas. ( or green beans) either one can be soaked in some garlic with helps with many ailments.

Thanks. 3 of my fish have had white stringy poo. My johanni who looked sick, my rusty and now my giraffe. The latter 2 aren't showing any illness signs so I'm assuming it's the protein rich diet about about to lay off.

White stringy poo I believe can also be a sign of internal parasites. I've NVR had to deal with that but have read others posting about it.

I did a 20% change and will be doing another tomorrow. The johanni doesn't look great but a little better would be a fair to say. All the others seem fine. I haven't fed them in 2 days hoping they pass whatever's bothering them out.

Back
Top Bottom