Lighting for cichlid tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tetrafan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I was wondering if there was a light that would optimize the colors of cichlids?

I used to use the same as the 2 above, but have since went back to 1 10,000K daylight and 6,500K Grow light. The blue gives a good shimmer to the fish but color just wasn't natural, If you looking to bring out color in a under developed fish then i suppose that is the right choice. But its on you to see, Depends on what fish you like to keep, If they are colorless fish then the blue is unnecessary.

I'm using LED lights, have 2 sets, and keep one on the blue setting, looks great!

I used the white tube next to the blue actinic and my fishes colors were washed out. I replaced the white with a warmer 57000k? I think that is the spectrum...much better. That's in a 55 galling tank using two four foot t5 lights.

I used the white tube next to the blue actinic and my fishes colors were washed out. I replaced the white with a warmer 57000k? I think that is the spectrum...much better. That's in a 55 galling tank using two four foot t5 lights.
Any algae problems...what is your light period?

if you want good natural coloration, then try to use tubes with high CRI values. The closer to 100 the better the color rendition will be. You have to check the individual tubes as tubes of the same color temp from different manufacturers can have very different CRIs. As an example, The GE t8 6500K tube has a CRI of around 75, while the Philips is in the 90s.

Aspencer said:
Any algae problems...what is your light period?

Yes. Algae will be more of an issue than usual if you keep these lights on for long periods each day. I turn my lights on when viewing or showing my tank only.

Back
Top Bottom