Limestone in African cichlid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ichslayer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will limestone help to buffer the PH for african cichlids? (Malawi)
I've seen some limestone gravel around. Can that be used?
Limestone rocks?

Will limestone help to buffer the PH for african cichlids? (Malawi)
I've seen some limestone gravel around. Can that be used?
Limestone rocks?

Yes limestone rocks work in buffering ph. I like texas holey rock it doubles as hiding places.

Effect is over time just keep in mind cause it slowly leeches into the water.

slowly leeches into water

The Limestone itself slowly leeches into the water? Or does it leech something else? what will be most affected by this? Will it cause ph to spike?
btw thanks:)

The Limestone itself slowly leeches into the water? Or does it leech something else? what will be most affected by this? Will it cause ph to spike?
btw thanks:)

Chemically limestone in CaCO3 when placed in water it breaks bonds and forms Ca2 (calcium ion) and HCO3 (bicarbonate ion).

Both of these harden water and increase alkalinity.

I think i said that right been awhile since i took chem lol.

The effect on normal tap water is quite small. Will be much greater on pure RO because nothing else in ionically bound to the hydrogen molecules.

Can test what your piece of rock will do to your tank with a bucket and gh/kh test and ph test.

1.Fill your bucket with tank water in a volume thats an exact fraction of your tank. Ie if you have a 30 gallon tank fill 3 gallons for 1/10 of total tank volume .

2. Test for gh kh and ph.

3. Place your decided rock in the bucket with the water.

4. Leave for a day or two.

5. Retest the gh kh and ph of the bucket water.

6. Multiply the effect by your given fraction.

Back
Top Bottom