Little advice needed about parrot cichlids ? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naomijaywebb

Aquarium Advice Regular
My mum has just purchased a 54L / 14 gallon large round fish tank , and she wants to get a parrot cichlid would that be fine or is the tank small for this type of fish , she wouldn't be adding no other big fish with the parrot cichlid just a couple of smaller fish would this be okay ? :)

Iv never kept parrots but I believe that 14 gal is way to small for parrots I'd stick to small community fish

Yeah she said she will keep the one she's just got for the mean time and then props upgrade cause she loves them lol thanks for the help :) x

Upgrade to a 30-40 gallon and you can get one, sadly mine died a couple of months ago :( I'm deciding if I should get another for my cichlid tank or a different type of cichlid.

I have three

in my 55G. Two are about a year old and I added a young one about a month ago. The two older ones are about 5 inches long already and growing. My LFS has an elderly 8 year old. Lovely but almost 9 inches!! So your going to need s p a c e. I did however house the two older ones in a 20G, but only for a short time till I got one of my 55's up and running. They were about 1 1/2 inch when I got them. I just love these guys. They have taken to pecking me when my hand is in the tank. No eggs or such, just a peck and run game! LOL Here is a pic of my 1 year old.

Attachments

• DSC00375.jpg
    DSC00375.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 66
Just a warning, don't put anything smallish in there that's slow swimming. It will become food. I learned the hard way lol.

in my 55G. Two are about a year old and I added a young one about a month ago. The two older ones are about 5 inches long already and growing. My LFS has an elderly 8 year old. Lovely but almost 9 inches!! So your going to need s p a c e. I did however house the two older ones in a 20G, but only for a short time till I got one of my 55's up and running. They were about 1 1/2 inch when I got them. I just love these guys. They have taken to pecking me when my hand is in the tank. No eggs or such, just a peck and run game! LOL Here is a pic of my 1 year old.

Wow! 9 inches!? Isn't a 55g too small as well? I have a 55g and want some Mbuna and dosani. The wife wants me to get a parrot as well but not sure.

No doubt eventually, because I have other africans in there right now too. But I have the syndrome! I'll get another tank! I'll get murdered if I bring another tank in. But I've learned "but it's an EMERGENCY!" always works well. LOL
The LFS has the old guy in a 90 with an oscar, and something else. Their activity level really drops as they age. I have to visit him every time I go. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom