Live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garfy said:

Convict uses gel super glue to glue the rhizomes to rocks and wood in his tank. The roots will eventually attach themselves. You can also use cotton thread or fishing line. You can plant them in the substrate leaving the rhizome above but I think the Africans would probably dig them up.

Yeah they would definately dig them up but I like the fishing line idea and I have plenty of that so I could tie them to my bog wood.Thanks very much for your help :)

i have tried vals, java fern and anubias. The only one still living and doing well is the anubias.. When I first put it in my acei (avatar) rushed to it and started biting it. Only took him about a minute to discover he did not like it. lol. They seemed to think it was fun to destroy the vals. They would attack it and rip it out of the sand.

That's what I have read. Supposedly very bitter to them. he didnt seem to like it at all. The leaves are also thick enough that it is kinda hard to bite.

dont forget about the lighting....The 50/50 bulbs we love wont support plant life. 1 watt per gallon is a minimum...And really thats not a good accurate way to measure. Single fixture bulbs wont cut it. No matter what they are. Good luck

Sorry for stealing the thread but I was very interested as well. How many watt would Anubis need? I am going to get the 2bulb 4 feet from fishneedit.com. Would they suffice for my 55g? Also would java moss be ok?

I will have
4 aceis
4 maingano
4 yellow labs
4 afra cobue

Jmedic25 said:
dont forget about the lighting....The 50/50 bulbs we love wont support plant life. 1 watt per gallon is a minimum...And really thats not a good accurate way to measure. Single fixture bulbs wont cut it. No matter what they are. Good luck

I have 3 x 4 foot tubes but I am considering putting in the 4 x 120cm LED strips I bought a little while ago.Will this be enough light to support plant life?

Sorry for stealing the thread but I was very interested as well. How many watt would Anubis need? I am going to get the 2bulb 4 feet from fishneedit.com. Would they suffice for my 55g? Also would java moss be ok?

I will have
4 aceis
4 maingano
4 yellow labs
4 afra cobue

You need at least 55 watts to maintain the 1 watt per gallon rule...1 WPG is concidered a low light tank. So you have to buy low light plants. Java moss is a crapshoot. Anubias should be ok though

Jmedic25 said:
You need at least 55 watts to maintain the 1 watt per gallon rule...1 WPG is concidered a low light tank. So you have to buy low light plants. Java moss is a crapshoot. Anubias should be ok though

I am going to get the two bulb fixture which is 108w. What color bulb would be needed to maintain the plants? I heard actinic doesn't help plants grow and i am
Better off with a pink bulb. On fishneedit.com my option with pink is 1 white and 1 pink.

Thats plenty of light...In a 55 with fish and that fixture I would do one white bulb that will get the pink spectrum so your covered and a 50/50 actinic. And yes, actinic light does nothing for plant growth. What fixture are you looking at that is 108 watts?

Back
Top Bottom