looking for some advice on why my Oscars keep up rooting or eating my live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgriffiths6969

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I came across this site looking for some advice on why my Oscars keep up rooting or eating my live plants

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Having kept oscars in the past I would say that they bored very easily especially if the tank is too small. They really need a min of 4 foot 60g for one oscar. I personally wouldn't bother with plants, the oscar will always win. Plants are just toys to them. Be creative with your decor avoiding anything sharp. Make your decor big and heavy. Mine even got my heater/stat off the glass and tugged it across the tank so I used external heating in the filter after that. Great fish though!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Live plants are a bad idea, they'll get torn up. I've read that ping pong balls are good as they'll play with them, but mine just looked at it and swam off, not interested!

Oscars are also diggers so live plants won;t stand a chance. If you must have plants, I suggest you use artificial. If you must have plants stay in a certain spot, I suggest you get a different fish. ;) ( I'd just keep the fish and change the decor. :) )

(y)

My oscar was dragging my one fake plant across the aquarium yesterday , guess it made him mad lol. ,

125gal Oscar ( soon to swap with 75gal ) , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal waiting for oscar , 10gal ???, 56gal soon to be a planted angel tank

Most of the time with oscars most people have fake plants because they're oscar will tear and rip apart the plants. If you wanted to try a plant they might not rip apart try an anubius plant they are very VERY bitter mine of course(VERY AGGRESSIVE) tore it to shreds but most cichlids won't go back for a second but after the first but you never know. But fake plants would be your best bet

If you're going to attempt to keep live plants in an oscar tank here are my suggestions, though I guarantee they will only prolong the amount of time you keep the plants alive, I don't think there is a plant out there that can survive long term in an oscar tank.
Use clay pots instead of planting in the substrate.
Stick with tough plants like anubias and java fern, also marimo moss balls can usually handle a few tosses from a playful oscar.
Place fake plants around the substrate around pots with real plants in them. Make sure they are lightweight and kind of long to encourage them to rearrange the fake ones and leave the real ones alone for a little while....

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom