Looking to get back into African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esemerson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I folks. I am new here, so far I love the forum. I used to have several African tanks ranging from 55 to 125 gallons. Then I got married and acquired some children and the fish took a backseat. 10 years later I want them back. I have been easing my way back into the hobby. Both of my sons have small community tanks. I have a 55 planted tank with 20 or so various tetras. While the tetras are cool, they do not compare to an active cichlid tank. In fact I have already started collecting cool rocks.

I know conventional wisdom changes over time. For example I used to insist on using an UGF now I am told they are garbage. So for cichlids what is the best substrate, lighting and filtration to use these days? Instead of buying another tank I am likely going to stick with a 55.

I used black blasting sand in all my cichlid tanks and live the way the colors POP with it... And its cheap ... All my rocks I collected in my yard and slate from my best friends home and some cool fossil slate my dad got from the mine years ago. As far as filters.... I had HOB with tropicals but with cichlids I prefer the canisters. Quiet and easy to adjust media etc. and cleaning without disrupting your beneficial bacteria.

WELCOME BACK!!! lol

I've got HOB filters (10x rotation) on all my tanks and use either gravel or sand. The sand I use is pool filter sand, it's cheap and looks good. But...it only comes in white. I know nothing about lighting, but I'm sure some others on here know plenty! I just use standard aquarium lights.

Well, personally I think that opinion on UGF is a tad bit off. Personally wouldn't run anything else on a cichlid tank, unless it was very lightly stocked. Which isn't very highly recommended.

im reccomending pool filter sand (because my current play sand is terrible) and rock/ cave structures for them to hide. something called 'cichlid stones' are very good for them but look a little unnatural imo. lights for me are standard, and my plants are fine. HOB filters are awesome! it needs to be good to keep up with cichlids.
as stated, like with an UGF it needs to be good unless it is very lightly stocked. cichlids run better with overstocking and extra pwc to reduce aggression.
i adore mbuna, so these are the 1st thing im gonna recomend in the fish department :D xx

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
im reccomending pool filter sand (because my current play sand is terrible) and rock/ cave structures for them to hide. something called 'cichlid stones' are very good for them but look a little unnatural imo. lights for me are standard, and my plants are fine. HOB filters are awesome! it needs to be good to keep up with cichlids.
as stated, like with an UGF it needs to be good unless it is very lightly stocked. cichlids run better with overstocking and extra pwc to reduce aggression.
i adore mbuna, so these are the 1st thing im gonna recomend in the fish department :D xx

Why is play sand terrible? I've heard of people using it and I've bought a bag. What's ur experience with it? How does it differ from pool sand?

i have a tank with play sand, but it isnt de-nitrifying well due to the consistency and is going blue and smells like sewer when i clean it after a single week. it is cheap and decorative, but i dont know how to keep it up without the blue coming.

pool filter sand allows more oxygenation and has a less bad smell apparantly.

Back
Top Bottom