Loss of albino tiger oscar :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was commenting more at the suggested 150% water change BS for a tank of that size, suggesting its maxed out, rather than anything to do with choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You have no idea what your talking about. .

Jmunroe is correct, there are a few people on this forum I would take advice from and listen to and he's is certainly one of them. I don't think you'll find many people as familiar with Astronotus ocellatus. It's obvious you've never been to OFL as he is one of the mods there.

jmunroe's profile

I can't say I've seen it first hand, I have seen what a 4" bn pleco can expel from its satanic sin hole.. couldn't imagine anther 8" and 2 lbs of pleco boasting that kind of ruckus.. i have heard a full grown oscar can expel a dump the size of a hit dog?? Wouldn't want all that sitting around to long myself.. I feel you J.. I'd be in the same camp me thinks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I cant understand why most people want their tank too look like a sardine can. Always looking for ways to squeeze one more fish with out realizing what it will look like if the existing ones even reach full size. And Jumroe I had 1 4" common and couldn't take all the crap it dropped so no more plecs for me.

It really is hard to imagine the waste load without experiencing it yourself. Mike a 14" pleco can make a tank look like a pot of spaghetti blew up in there lol. I didn't want to go through it all again either but my like for plecos was too much and he needed a home. I'll keep him til I can't keep up with his waste load. I know a local club member that keeps 300+ gallon tanks that likes plecos. He's gonna be with me for quite a few years though.

It really is hard to imagine the waste load without experiencing it yourself. Mike a 14" pleco can make a tank look like a pot of spaghetti blew up in there lol. I didn't want to go through it all again either but my like for plecos was too much and he needed a home. I'll keep him til I can't keep up with his waste load. I know a local club member that keeps 300+ gallon tanks that likes plecos. He's gonna be with me for quite a few years though.

HAHA yea even the little 4"er made it look like a spool of thread exploded.

<--- glad I'm listening to the right group of peeps! I had a baby bn pleco who got rehomed after a month on daily vaccuming all his little brown craps on my beautiful white sand planted tank.

Brookster123 nobody makes me crack up like you man! Satanic sin hole hahaha!

I can't say I've seen it first hand, I have seen what a 4" bn pleco can expel from its satanic sin hole.. couldn't imagine anther 8" and 2 lbs of pleco boasting that kind of ruckus..

:lol: That made me fall over laughing when I read it. Reminds me of when my two BNPs bred a couple of months ago and all of their 30 little demon spawn were spraying their "goods" all over the tank covering everything, finally broke down and tore down everything to remove and sell them. But seriously to the op. Even being a grow-out, that tank is savagely overstocked. That's great you plan on getting a bigger tank but the main reason people are often skeptical is that life more than often happens and the upgrade cant be had for more than one reason. Thanks for hearing of of us, the advice is out there (take it or leave it :angel:) and never feel like you shouldn't post. It's how we all get better and learn. (y) :thanks:

I know this thread has died but I would like to let you guys know I have started re homing some of my fish. Today I gave a friend with a 220 have my common pleco, my regular jack Dempsey, and the red tail shark. Next to go is the Texas cichlid my spotted rapheals and my pictus cats. Will be keeping my electric blue jack my tire track eel albino channel cat and the lake Malawi cichlid. I will still be upgrading my tank obviously and look at stocking options at that point in time.

Nice bro! I'm happy to hear you're taking a proactive approach to reasonable stocking:)

I know this thread has died but I would like to let you guys know I have started re homing some of my fish. Today I gave a friend with a 220 have my common pleco, my regular jack Dempsey, and the red tail shark. Next to go is the Texas cichlid my spotted rapheals and my pictus cats. Will be keeping my electric blue jack my tire track eel albino channel cat and the lake Malawi cichlid. I will still be upgrading my tank obviously and look at stocking options at that point in time.

I'll swallow my pride and say good job! Like Brookster said I'm glad to hear you're planning and taking care of your stock, very nice! And I apologize for my previous post that was thankfully removed.

Bichir bro I don't even remember what your post said. I am thinking of focusing strictly on my favorite fish at the moment and making sure they grow up. That currently is my EBJD, albino channel cat and my tire track eel. My wife is in love with the lake Malawi cichlid so not able to re home him. I'm just hoping with the channel cat and eels current size they won't outgrow the tank before I can get the upgrade up and running. I am very attached to them.

Bichir bro I don't even remember what your post said. I am thinking of focusing strictly on my favorite fish at the moment and making sure they grow up. That currently is my EBJD, albino channel cat and my tire track eel. My wife is in love with the lake Malawi cichlid so not able to re home him. I'm just hoping with the channel cat and eels current size they won't outgrow the tank before I can get the upgrade up and running. I am very attached to them.

I think the eel is slow growing but i may be wrong. Not sure about the catfish either lol. Good luck with your fish! Careful with the cat tho, they're pigs and I'm sure he won't mind munchin down on smaller tank mates! Keep him nice and fat!

Yea my eel seems like he has not grown since I got him and he gets a night crawler hand fed in the mornings and nights except Mondays I skip a feeding. My cat grew really quick to about 4.5 to 5" really fast and had slowed down a lot.

You can also target feed frozen/thawed bloodworms using a turkey Baster.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I mix blood worms in with my regular feedings for the other fish as I like to feed a variety foods, he gladly eats those. Soon I am going to try and get him on shrimp again as the first attempt did not go so good.

And also hand feeding the night crawlers is a fun way to interact with him

It's so refreshing to see a thread come back to positive, useful substance:) nice work everybody!

Zcar, sounds like he, and the others, have got a good set diet! Just watch the bloodworms, they're like steak for us humans. I'd definitely try to get him on shrimps again and try and turn the bloodworms into more of a treat rather than daily meal for all the fishes! Shrimps are generally a much healthier alternative to the bloodworms.

Back
Top Bottom