lots of breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oblivion

Aquarium Advice Activist
so ive already got 8x 2mth old zebra obliqidens fry.:popcorn:

2 wks ago my electric blue showed one of his women a good time, and she's been holding since.(y)

2 nights ago i could see electric blue (s. fryeri) in his "love cave" with his 2nd wife.
yesterday i get home from work, and the 2nd electric blue female has the most massive jaw you've ever seen, she even has her lips pouted out a little and open a tiny bit too, she's got that many eggs in there. :ROFLMAO:

and today i get home from work, my hongi has knocked up his only woman too :dance: (he desperately needs a 2nd wife)

i just got a 4ft holding/fry tank, and was about to sell the 2ft'er but ill have to use that aswell, and i still need room for mrs hongi to get some peace over the next few wks.

my gosh, its like a red light district going on in my tank.. its awesome but they could at least time their pregnancy's a few wks apart to give me time to cycle them in/out of the holding tanks as needed.

need more hospital beds for all the pregnant wimmin's to get some R&R during pregnancy

:fish1::fish2::fish1::fish2:im gunna have little fish everywhere!

Signs of a happy tank, Congrats ! With hongi only having 1 female, i would not over look the chances has there may have been some crossbreeding happening. Just my .02 . Either way congrats.

Last edited:
That's why I have given up on keeping most mouthbrooding fry with the exception of the german reds, bengas, flametails, and butterflys.

do you just let them spit their fry to become cichlid dinners?

thats what i do with mine. unless you know for sure they arent a hybrid, and have a place to sell them, i would believe that would be your best choice. Let the strong survive .

Signs of a happy tank, Congrats ! With hongi only having 1 female, i would not over look the chances has there may have been some crossbreeding happening. Just my .02 . Either way congrats.

since theres one one male/female hongi it is a possibility, however ive found that most seem to prefer their own kind. (so far anyway)

also mr + mrs hongi were spending time together a little while ago, with Mrs H' gently nudging at Mr H's "junk"

hongi is one of my favourites, they have such cool markings.

Not saying it is crossbreeding just saying it is very possible, seen it more times than not in my 10 years of fish keeping.

I'm not one of those hybrid must die snobs since it's unavoidable the majority of the time, but selling them off or trading them into a LFS is something I strongly disagree with.

thats what i do with mine. unless you know for sure they arent a hybrid, and have a place to sell them, i would believe that would be your best choice. Let the strong survive .

if i know its a purebred i want to try help them as much as possible.
(i view my tank for at least an hour everyday since i hate regular tv)

if its a hybrid they will be left to fend for themselves in the main tank, with no special care. (dont want hybrids)

my LFS is real good, they always take fish back, and they tell me to raise my fry to a healthy size of about 2" and then bring them in.
usually i swap the returned fish for other fish.
eg: swapped an aggressor for an elec yellow.

I feel the same way about my tank. I have 7 platys. only one male. (only because over time he saw to it that he was the ONLY male in there, and eventually killed the other ones) And we've already had two females pop, (which we had no idea they were going to at the time) and we found 2 babies in our floating plants. They lasted a good two weeks or so.. and then we saw another baby in another plant like the other one had her babies also. It lasted a few days then one morning, they were all gone :-(
So, we invested in a 10g tank the other night that we are cycling so we can put our other platy in soon because shes getting ready to have her babies.

but selling them off or trading them into a LFS is something I strongly disagree with.

Confused: Do you mean you disagree with selling / trading any fish or just hybrids? And actually I am curious as to why in either case.

Just speaking from curiosity (and ignorance basically :)). Is it because it further dilutes the breeds by putting hybrids out there into "circulation" so to speak?

Confused: Do you mean you disagree with selling / trading any fish or just hybrids? And actually I am curious as to why in either case.

Just hybrids.

Just speaking from curiosity (and ignorance basically :)). Is it because it further dilutes the breeds by putting hybrids out there into "circulation" so to speak?

That's the main reason but there's others too.

yaay, we have fry !!

one of the electric blue (sciaeonochromis fryeri?) mum's let her bub's out for a swim late last night.
little buggers are darting everywhere in a 4ft, i counted about 13 while they were zipping about :D

its been a couple of days so today, as she let them loose i scooped them and put them in a breeders net, then come back half hour later and look for more..
done that a few times through the day then i checked her and she was holding none, and tank had none left on the loose.

total count, 13 fry.

i thought the 2nd elec blue female was holding longer, she's in a 2ft'er by herself.. hiding in a rock out of sight.
i went to strip her and the first fry to come out still had an egg sack attached so i let her go.
she seemed content sitting in my hand, not struggling.

the fry's egg is enough to weigh it down and prevents it free swimming properly. it has little bursts of dragging its egg sack around then rests.
its in with the other 13, but i have doubts on its survival since it cant free swim

oh no.

the interruptus i was hoping would be male turned out to be a female.

i seen it doing the wild thing with my tank boss, an albino metriaclima greshakei and now the interruptus is holding.

edit: also, "eggy" (yeah i named it) the electric blue fry that was stripped too early has outgrown his egg sack and is now totally free swimming and healthy :)

LOL wow just 13 my OB Peacock had like 35 fry, I am amazed, and now I have a Sunshine Peacock holding with the father being a really nice colored Sunshine. I am convincing the wifey we need to have a BIG fry tank :)

oh no.

the interruptus i was hoping would be male turned out to be a female.

i seen it doing the wild thing with my tank boss, an albino metriaclima greshakei and now the interruptus is holding.

edit: also, "eggy" (yeah i named it) the electric blue fry that was stripped too early has outgrown his egg sack and is now totally free swimming and healthy :)

It's like a virus once they start breeding there is no stopping them, I usually have between 12-17 holding females at any given time

Back
Top Bottom