Love my new rams!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady_Alia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Gotta love these guys! I just got them Thursday.

Attachments

• image-1085929144.jpg
    image-1085929144.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2223184654.jpg
    image-2223184654.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 120
That's rather offensive. :-/

I believe what she was trying to say was that they have a farm raised look to them. Not necessarily a bad thing but they are known to be more sensitive then rams you would purchase from a breeder. Don't take offense I don't believe that was Silly's intentions. They do have great color as noted, just keep them healthy and all will be well.

I believe what she was trying to say was that they have a farm raised look to them. Not necessarily a bad thing but they are known to be more sensitive then rams you would purchase from a breeder. Don't take offense I don't believe that was Silly's intentions. They do have great color as noted, just keep them healthy and all will be well.

They actually did come from a private breeder ;)

They look good to me. My male German looks so so and I know he is defiantly high quality. And what does a farm raised mikrogeophagus ramirezi look like? Cause I would love some try to explain it to me

Last edited:
Thanks! I love watching them. I'm not as impressed with the ebr as I thought I'd be but I think the gbr are stunning!

Yeah EBR need to be under the light a certain way to really stand out. I guess it would be hard to tell between a farm raised and extremely healthy wild/bred ram. My understanding is that they exhibit unnatural coloring whether under stress or perfectly healthy and tend to not last long. I think they are responsible for the stigma that Germans are not hardy fish.

I too am not overally impressed by electric blues. It is debated by serious breeders about how many "farm raised" rams there are. Growth hormones and steriods arent exactly cheap. Also rams are naturally colorful so the point of spending more money to make something worse looking is a business model even the most unintelligent businessman would know. Also depending on where rams are collected just like many other species color, and even body shape can vary. Last note I have had some low quality rams and i will say they are much harder than wilds. The stigma of rams being not hardy comes from the fact that naturally they are pretty sensitive.

Yeah EBR need to be under the light a certain way to really stand out. I guess it would be hard to tell between a farm raised and extremely healthy wild/bred ram. My understanding is that they exhibit unnatural coloring whether under stress or perfectly healthy and tend to not last long. I think they are responsible for the stigma that Germans are not hardy fish.

You mean farm raised rams exhibit unnatural color?

You mean farm raised rams exhibit unnatural color?

Correct that seems to be the "consensus" but as TCC mentioned its hard to tell. I've never really looked into it as I've found a good source for rams but lots of info on rams seems to be mostly regurgitated info across the aquarium forums all over the web. Unless someone can bring forward some actual documentation on the matter no one is really qualified to pick out what is or isn't farm raised

Correct that seems to be the "consensus" but as TCC mentioned its hard to tell. I've never really looked into it as I've found a good source for rams but lots of info on rams seems to be mostly regurgitated info across the aquarium forums all over the web. Unless someone can bring forward some actual documentation on the matter no one is really qualified to pick out what is or isn't farm raised

If you don't mind my asking, what's your good source?

when someone finds me a "farm raised" specimen please send it my way. I will pay shipping and everything just to see it for myself and compare it to all sorts of other rams.

Back
Top Bottom