Maingano babies!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Came home from work and discovered approx 15 Maingano fry!!! They are so cute :) I'm going to try to get a picture or two as soon as possible!!

Thanks!! I went to catch her to put her in my hospital tank to nurse her back to health and she gathered most of them back in her mouth, so I ended up stripping them (my first time, it was a success!). So now the fry are in my 55 gallon grow out tank and she's eating like a pig!! Hopefully she can go back in the 125 soon to see her friends :)

kelbaker79 said:
Do you live close to St. Louis? Sorry, bad memory...lol

About 2 hours away. Are the fry yellow? You may have johanni bc I think maingano have blue fry. I may be wrong tho.

joel618 said:
About 2 hours away. Are the fry yellow? You may have johanni bc I think maingano have blue fry. I may be wrong tho.

No, they aren't yellow. Half of them are black/blue, the other half are a blueish white color :)

kelbaker79 said:
No, they aren't yellow. Half of them are black/blue, the other half are a blueish white color :)

Ok. Was using my cell phone so I couldn't tell. Im up there every other week or so, let me know.

The babies are 3 weeks old now, noticed last night momma wasn't eating, checked her this morning and she's got a mouthful of eggs! Again!!!

kelbaker79 said:
The babies are 3 weeks old now, noticed last night momma wasn't eating, checked her this morning and she's got a mouthful of eggs! Again!!!

You gonna let her hold em or are you gonna strip her?

Lady_Alia said:
You gonna let her hold em or are you gonna strip her?

I'll let her spit them this time, she will be in her own nursery tank so there's no threat of them being eaten. How often do they have fry?? Just seems so quick!! She's finally back to health from having the last ones and now she's holding again...this fish is never gonna eat...lol

kelbaker79 said:
I'll let her spit them this time, she will be in her own nursery tank so there's no threat of them being eaten. How often do they have fry?? Just seems so quick!! She's finally back to health from having the last ones and now she's holding again...this fish is never gonna eat...lol

I think they can have them every month. Once my females hold to term I won't let them hold again for at least 3 months! I want them to have that break to get completely healthy. Just my thoughts.
Where do you live? I might be interested in some babies :-D

Lady_Alia said:
I think they can have them every month. Once my females hold to term I won't let them hold again for at least 3 months! I want them to have that break to get completely healthy. Just my thoughts.
Where do you live? I might be interested in some babies :-D

That's a good idea. I've only got 4 maternity tanks though and they're all full so I needed to put her back in the 125 sooner than id have liked to :( I live in St. Louis, MO. Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom