Major cleanup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghostking010

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've don a full water change pluse reascape cleanup to my 55 I've transfer my 8 med manuna cichlids and peacock to a 10 gallon with a hang back filter and the heater will they be fine till the cycle is compleat on the 55 or do I have to go to lfs to buy prime let me know ASAP lol don't wanna lose my fish had them for a wile would be cool ohh and a hap and Pleco

So I've don a full water change pluse reascape cleanup to my 55 I've transfer my 8 med manuna cichlids and peacock to a 10 gallon with a hang back filter and the heater will they be fine till the cycle is compleat on the 55 or do I have to go to lfs to buy prime let me know ASAP lol don't wanna lose my fish had them for a wile would be cool ohh and a hap and Pleco

Why did you do a 100% water change on your 55g? Did you do anything to the filter on the 55g? If you still have the same filter media than the 55g is already cycled. 90% of the bacteria resides on the filter media.

As for all of those fish in the 10g, I'm assuming that the cichlids you are referring to are mbuna correct? In a 10g tank they will either tear each other up or you will have such a huge ammonia spike it'll kill them all. I would suggest putting them back in the 55g asap.

No I left the filter stuff alone all I did was empty the tank like 95% then refill it and redid the rocks I had to the water was starting to get murky and yellowish and lots of fish crap lol hang on the back filter don't cach sometimes but I'm worryd that the tank is not fully cycled since its fusit water and its only bin 2 hours so I don't wanna shock the fish

You emptied your tank and added water out of the faucet without removing chlorine.Big mistake....you will kill all of your good bacteria in tank and filters doing that...Yes you need to add dechlorinator asap. Might be to late... You will prolly start another cycle....

I would add dechlorinator add fish back to the tank and monitor ammonia....post results.

No I left the filter stuff alone all I did was empty the tank like 95% then refill it and redid the rocks I had to the water was starting to get murky and yellowish and lots of fish crap lol hang on the back filter don't cach sometimes but I'm worryd that the tank is not fully cycled since its fusit water and its only bin 2 hours so I don't wanna shock the fish

Agreed. you need to always add dechlorinator to the water. Also, instead of pulling the fish out and doing a 100% water change just do 50% weekly changes. That is usually more than enough to keep things clean in a tank. If you need a bit more water polishing you can always add some filter floss into the filter.

Yea well ima go in the morning and grab some prime I mean I did add some of the old water in with the new and just now put my Pleco alone in the tank he's doing fine plus those fish can handle any thing will my fish do fine in the ten till then hope so cuz it's twelve at night and lfs is closed

Yea well ima go in the morning and grab some prime I mean I did add some of the old water in with the new and just now put my Pleco alone in the tank he's doing fine plus those fish can handle any thing will my fish do fine in the ten till then hope so cuz it's twelve at night and lfs is closed

IMO, get some Prime, and move all the fish back into the 55. They will be better off cycling in a 55 rather than crammed into a ten gal.

Yea just got done putting them in the 55 and there doing fine hope morning looks good will post pics then thanks everyone for the help tired of losing fish to the same mistakes

What have you been doing with keeping your fish? Also, what stocking do you have? 6 mbunas seems to be a very very small amount for a 55g

Well I have two ice blue red tops an albino red top a red zebra one hap and one peacock a female red top two fry servivors a Pleco my setup is two 60 gallon hang back filters led lighting air stone and a 80 gallon capacity heater the fish are doing fantastic and I'm using river stones as rock scape here's a pic

image-4190232427.jpg

image-810822486.jpg

image-2244174001.jpg

image-1338384202.jpg

image-1542994395.jpg

Yea I know they bin in the tank together since day one odly the peacock is the Alfa in the tank punks my red top around lol

Back
Top Bottom