Malawi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just started out with some Malawi chiclids. Are there any other types of fish that the will mix with other then malawi's. I was thinking along the lines of barbs sharks etc. Can I get some advise pls.

No most tropical fish should not be housed with the hyper aggressive fish from Lake Malawi, I do keep a single rainbow shark in each african tank I own. They help with grazing on algae and left over pellets. I also keep a school of clown loaches in each tank as well for the same purpose, and the contrast in body shape and color really stand out well. Tankmatess are also dependent on tank size so that information would help.

45L tank. I wanted something along the bottom of the tank as I find that they keep the sand turned over and keep the tank clean. Can u suggest names of good tank mates pls.

45L tank. I wanted something along the bottom of the tank as I find that they keep the sand turned over and keep the tank clean. Can u suggest names of good tank mates pls.

Lake Malawi cichlids have no place being in a 12g, these are fish that demand and require swimming room of at least 4ft. for the majority of Malawi cichlids for aggression and health reasons. With that size tank there are some small shellies from Lake Tanganyika that would work but my best advise take them back and save the fish.

Sorry 45g not litres it's not a soup bowl lol. Sorry I made a typo.

Sorry 45g not litres it's not a soup bowl lol. Sorry I made a typo.

A 45g will work temporarily but long term larger tank will be required. There are some dwarf mbuna like cynotilapiia afra cobue or saulosi that may work but the majority Malawi cichlids will hit the 6"+ mark which in stocking 1m/4f I'm afraid it's just not enough long term.

To clean may african cichlid i use a synodontis from the lake i rwproduce in the tank, theres a couple of species availaible!

Here is one Multipunctatus,

Attachments

• image-2350802039.jpg
    image-2350802039.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 85
A 45g is ok if you choose wisely a one specie only tank, you put some cleaner helper like a Procambarus clarkii that can come in 3 colors choice!!

Theres a lot of small species in malawi that can do it, 1 male with 3-4 females.

Choose the specie wisely!

Back
Top Bottom