Malawi & Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bad mix as Jacks are central americans and the others african. Way different water parameters and different aggression pattrens.

I'd be more concerned with diet.Mbuna which I see here cannot handle the protein in the JD'S diet Infact it could well clog up the very long digestive system of the Mbuna causing bloat which very often kills.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With Drip acclimating the water parameters shouldn't be an issue unless your buying wild caught fish.
I DO NOT however recommend keeping these fish together.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello, welcome to the AA forum and thanks for sharing the video. As you can see, plenty of experience on the board for helping out.

Beautiful tank but I don't recommend the jackD with the others, I had tried putting a JD with my Malawi cichlids and it worked out at first but then the JD got so aggressive I had to give him away to my friend. I have read about other people saying that it worked out for them but in my experience it didn't work out.

Beautiful tank but I don't recommend the jackD with the others, I had tried putting a JD with my Malawi cichlids and it worked out at first but then the JD got so aggressive I had to give him away to my friend. I have read about other people saying that it worked out for them but in my experience it didn't work out.

Long term it very rarely works. I fear many who suggest it can work either ignore the aggression and diet issues (as Garfy pointed out) or the fish simply don't live long enough for confrontation. Picture a 10" Jack Dempsey living peacefully with mbuna..... I cant...

Long term it very rarely works. I fear many who suggest it can work either ignore the aggression and diet issues (as Garfy pointed out) or the fish simply don't live long enough for confrontation. Picture a 10" Jack Dempsey living peacefully with mbuna..... I cant...

Yeah true. My friend has my JD in a 125g tank with other american cichlids (not sure what kind)

Back
Top Bottom