Malawi bloat questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read several posts on members losing fish to Malawi bloat. First I want to say sorry an my heart goes out to all of you. I've also read up on Malawi bloat as I have about 25 Africans in my 75g.

Is there really any thing you can do to prevent this terrible occurrence? I really dread the day I'm faced with the MB issue!! Makes me discouraged and nervous. Always checking my guys making sure there are no signs of it. I haven't really found any answers if any on how to lesson the risk.

What if anything do you do to keep the odds in your favor or is owning these beautiful fish just a crap shoot?

My heart really does break reading about all the members that are effected by this. It's so sad. By owning and caring for this fish are we to just assume that one day we are going to face this issue? Is it inevitable?

Convict2161 said:
I've read several posts on members losing fish to Malawi bloat. First I want to say sorry an my heart goes out to all of you. I've also read up on Malawi bloat as I have about 25 Africans in my 75g.

Is there really any thing you can do to prevent this terrible occurrence? I really dread the day I'm faced with the MB issue!! Makes me discouraged and nervous. Always checking my guys making sure there are no signs of it. I haven't really found any answers if any on how to lesson the risk.

What if anything do you do to keep the odds in your favor or is owning these beautiful fish just a crap shoot?

My heart really does break reading about all the members that are effected by this. It's so sad. By owning and caring for this fish are we to just assume that one day we are going to face this issue? Is it inevitable?

I have read for hours about bloat and talked to multiple people. I keep mild mannered mbuna with lots of hiding places, so it shouldn't be stress. I feed nls thera formula along with veggies and skip a day every 2 or 3 days, so it shouldn't be food. I do at least 50% pwc a week. I keep my temps at 80+. Still I have lost several fish to bloat. It is very discouraging but I have talked to many people that have kept mbuna for years and never had it be much of a problem. So that keeps me going. Im still trying to pinpoint the problems. The first and last thing I do every day is check my fish for signs of illness. I would say it is a crap shoot. I hate for any fish to die. My synodontis cats are the reason for my tank set up, so as long as they are healthy I am happy. Im growing them out for my future 180g. Im thinking about switching to lake tang and keeping frontosa and calvus. Then I shouldn't have to deal with the bloat issue.

I do the same as you minus the veggies. I'm new to the hobby and didn't know you could feed them veggies and if so what kinds?

I did however make the mistake of putting different Africans in my 75g.

Good luck with everything.

Convict2161 said:
I do the same as you minus the veggies. I'm new to the hobby and didn't know you could feed them veggies and if so what kinds?

I feed blanched peas, zucchini and seedless cucumber. Everyones (including the catfish) favorite seems to be peas.

joel618 said:
I feed blanched peas, zucchini and seedless cucumber. Everyones (including the catfish) favorite seems to be peas.

I'm gonna try that. I also feed mine every other day. This is tough man... I really do feel for you guys. I don't care what other people say. A fish is a pet. You watch them grow, you care for them and you even bond with them. Bottom line it's sad and I guess only ones who keep fish can understand. I get the "there only fish" comment all the time. Some just don't understand.

Convict2161 said:
I'm gonna try that. I also feed mine every other day. This is tough man... I really do feel for you guys. I don't care what other people say. A fish is a pet. You watch them grow, you care for them and you even bond with them. Bottom line it's sad and I guess only ones who keep fish can understand. I get the "there only fish" comment all the time. Some just don't understand.

I agree. It sucks watching them suffer when there is nothing you can really do for them. Not only are they living creatures but they are pretty expensive as well. I have around $200 in fish and I've only had this tank for around 7 months now.

You lessen the risk buy feeding them correctly, keeping the water perfect, and lowering aggression. So IMO dont fiddle with the deco too much. Watch them closley. If you see one not eating treat him. Dont wait or you will lose multiple fish. Also, fasting them once a week is supposed to help. I was guilty of messing with the deco too much I think. Now they are all healthy. I switched to sand and added dead liverock to my sump. I increased the temp to 81 degrees. The fish are much more active now. Feeding is a frenzy. I wish I had some secret but I dont. good luck! Also it would be good for you to have some metro on hand. So you never have to wait once you notice a symptom

Jmedic25 said:
You lessen the risk buy feeding them correctly, keeping the water perfect, and lowering aggression. So IMO dont fiddle with the deco too much. Watch them closley. If you see one not eating treat him. Dont wait or you will lose multiple fish. Also, fasting them once a week is supposed to help. I was guilty of messing with the deco too much I think. Now they are all healthy. I switched to sand and added dead liverock to my sump. I increased the temp to 81 degrees. The fish are much more active now. Feeding is a frenzy. I wish I had some secret but I dont. good luck! Also it would be good for you to have some metro on hand. So you never have to wait once you notice a symptom

Hi I used to keep cichlids years ago and my wife and I have recently got back in to them. We have a 400 litre corner tank with a mix of African cichlids, mbuna and peacocks. Also there is a pair of firemouths and some nicuagra cichlids in there. I know what your thinking and mixing cichlids is not a good I idea. But we inherited the fish with the tank, and touch wood they all get on swimmingly. Lol. All I know of bloat is it can be caused by feeding certain foods, blood worm is a big no no!!! Due to the natural conditions , in Malawi they eat a lot of algae which is why they are hungry 24/7 and will eat themself to death if given the chance. And although they do eat inverts and other meats I get the impression that's this is not an everyday food supply. Frozen and live food should be kept to once a week. We feed ours a combination of foods from special cichlid pellets and flake and treat with Malawi mix frozen food on a Sunday. They also have and love spinach which we buy from the supermarket frozen. I'm sure I haven't said anything you don't already no but thought I would share what I could. Good luck

I have something for you. That will help you out. I have the medication. And a picture for you with name and were you could. Bay it if you want. I lost a honderd dollar on fish. So when I,m home I post the medication and picture to yo with the ingredients.

Dreamingdragon said:
I have something for you. That will help you out. I have the medication. And a picture for you with name and were you could. Bay it if you want. I lost a honderd dollar on fish. So when I,m home I post the medication and picture to yo with the ingredients.

Ok thanks

After a long search and research on bloat. And medication. I had 2 medication that you can fight against bloat. The most petstore carry parasite clear ingredients metronidazole praziquantel and 2 other ingredients. In my case with parasite clear. Stil fish that or dieing. The ingredient that you need for bloat is metronidazole or praziqantel. After a long search on metronidazole. I could not get it hier in Santa Fe. So I went to a vet. He sad praziquantel was beter than metronidazole. Because metronidazole wil desroy there kidney. And praziquantel works as razorblades. And kill the parasite. So were did I get the praziquantel. At watergarden for koi I was so happy cost me 40 box for 25 grams. 1 gram treats a100 galon tank. And it treats up to 7 day with out water change. I love this medication. And it helpt my fish with out losing fish I recommend this to you. When they start to eat again you can put a littelbit in there food. If they are not eating you add it to the water amazing how it works ask for more info at that store water garden for koi,s also look on google for flagyl it wil exs plain to yo and a picture from the medication I have

image-3417851550.jpg

Also praziquantel is not harmful for your fish. Even when you have worms or other like ick so this is kind of a broadband medication. And sinds I have it I doint have any problem so far with bloat for me this is hands up

Mine gobble up zucchini. NLS does have a good amount of veggies in it too though. I haven't dealt with bloat yet, I don't ever let a bloodworm touch my tank. They will cause a lot of bloating issues.

Different african's isn't always bad. Your fish will let you know what they like and what they don't. You will have a dominant fish and he'll kinda control what he will allow in the tank. Instead of trying to read about what works, I've instead gone to the fish tank and tried to learn from their behavior. Every fish is different, and it's been proven over and over that the 'impossible' with these africans is doable.

I hope no one bites my head off for this post, because there's definitely better stocking options for tanks, but I got advice by multiple cichlid keepers and followed what they said and still had lots of fighting and about 6 deaths. Now I'm doing my own thing, adapting to the fish themselves and have QT tanks setup and ready just in case.

I hear ya brother. I have a QT tank all ready too but sometimes I think and after this weekend and reading a lot about it. You need to let the tank settle.

I hear ya brother. I have a QT tank all ready too but sometimes I think and after this weekend and reading a lot about it. You need to let the tank settle.

I agree. In these setups you're almost destined to have some deaths.

It,s alaways a pain in my hart when some fish or dieing if you have to setel the tank. But it surprise. Me every time how much you can learn from these fish. I feel you guys. The thing I want too ask you guys wat do you think a bout the medication. I posted. Wat do you guy. S use for medication for bloat just wondering.

I haven't had to deal with bloat... Yet anyway.

Same and I feed my guys twice a day(used to be 3 times/day when they were just becoming juvies) NLS small cichlid pellets.

They attack the top of the water anytime my hand goes anywhere near the lid of the tank. Even if I don' drop anything in they just attack it. As long as your guys are following your hand(because they know you feed them) then they're "fine". I don't fast them(I did once but the GF then guilted me into not doing it again because they we're so angry at eachother all day) I have fed them DESHELLED and blanched peas twice but normally it's lettuce in a clip(romaine) for my snails and the cichlids will eat off it too if they want but usually they prefer the pellets. I've tried feeding them brine shrimp but they avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom