Malawi mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid7646

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wonderimg if you could keep malawi cichlids with other african cichlids and what other tankmates are good with cichlids

I'm not going to pretend I have an answer for this as I know little about cichlids, especially old world. I do know that aside from temperament and ample space, nutritional requirements need to be considered (percentage of protein, amount of algae, etc.) as they can differ for each group. Good luck.

I was wonderimg if you could keep malawi cichlids with other african cichlids and what other tankmates are good with cichlids

We really need more information on which specific species and tank size. Generally, you don't want to mix them because of different mineral/ph levels between the lakes regardless of temperament. Even within Lake Malawi you should be careful mixing aggression levels between mbuna & hap species. You can probably keep on of the synodontis varieties with just about anything, except for the general rule of "whatever fits in its mouth is food".

With mbuna, I've seen more fighting within species than between them... but I've avoided the ones more nasty reputations (bumble bee, auratus).

Back
Top Bottom