Malawi set up????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoor3773

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, im going to create a 4ft malawi cichlid set up. However before I start I want to make sure I have the correct information on what to contain in the tank. I ve received advice from my local aquarist shop but just want to double check his information is correct. I would like to use coral sand as a substrate and ocean rock as a way of creating decoration within the tank. Is this ok???

They will try to make as much money as possible. For substrate you can use many things.... Alot of people on here use pool filter sand ( pfs) or play sand...for light. In my tanks (90g, 125g ,140g) I use black blasting sand and love it. For rocks, depending on what look you like, go to your local creek, rocks in your yard or your local landscape yard. I have rocks from yards and slate as well as lava stones for fry to hide in and also grows great biological media. My fish are happy and so is my local store... They get tons of fry :)

hi
i used bags of play sand (rinsed verrrrry well) and crushed coral mixed in as a bit of a buffer. rock are just regular rocks , try to mimic their natural habitat from Lake Malawi . nice rounded river stones stacked carefully (on the glass or egg crate) not on the sand Africans like to dig :) . i put in plants to start they were just play toys... fun to watch tho. good luck

Back
Top Bottom