Malawis not growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoor3773

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi all. i currently have a 4ft 65gal tank at home. i have a mixture between malawi haps and peacocks and they seem to coexist together. problem is i havent seemed notice much growth in the majority of the cichlids even though i v had them for 6 month. is this normal? the fish that arent growing have stayed aroud the 1.5/2" mark. :banghead:

How much are you feeding? What size are they suppose to be? What kinds?

i feed them once a day with cichlid flake food. i have a mixture in my tank from aulonocaras to labs to afras. from what i can understand they are meant to grow from 4" to 7" depending on the species. i am well short of this

Spoor3773 said:
i feed them once a day with cichlid flake food. i have a mixture in my tank from aulonocaras to labs to afras. from what i can understand they are meant to grow from 4" to 7" depending on the species. i am well short of this

Hmmf not stunted and not under fed... Maybe someone else will chime in?

what sort of time line are we talking for a cichlid to grow from juvenile to full adult

Doint worry. They will grow. I had it with my fish too. They have a grow stop. After a month they will grow.

It happens growth will take time. Try feeding a better quality food I feed all my cichlids new life spectrum and growth and color is outstanding.

NLS is a great food. I feed mine Thera A but there are other good Cichlid foods out there also. And the growing... Trust me they will grow. It just doesn't happen overnight. Enjoy them, every stage of the game, enjoy them...

Convict2161 said:
NLS is a great food. I feed mine Thera A but there are other good Cichlid foods out there also. And the growing... Trust me they will grow. It just doesn't happen overnight. Enjoy them, every stage of the game, enjoy them...

+1 on NLS. "Cichlid Food" doesn't necessarily mean that it's good for all Cichlids. e.g. Tetra Cichlid may be acceptable to New World Cichlids, but it has too much protein for Malawi Cichlids as you have. I use NLS Cichlid, which, as I understand it, is exactly the same as NLS Thera A less Garlic.

Feed about as much as they can consume in 30 seconds. Since they are still juvies, up to twice per day would probably be ok. Keep an eye on your parameters if you change their feeding.

Back
Top Bottom