Male / female cockatoo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labpig

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought my first cichlids today. I have a 20 gal and the guy in the LFS said that a male & female would be best in such a small tank

He sexed the female because it had a smaller dorsal fin. Otherwise they looked identical

When I got home I had to ring to query my receipt. When I said I had bought a pair, the new guy on the phone said I couldn't have bought a pair as all they had in stock were males!

If I have bought 2 males, Will this be a problem for me in the near future?
It's quite a heavily planted tank 60x30x43cm high and They seem ok together at the minute, but it's only day1 and they haven't established territories yet

If I can get them together I will upload a photo in case the original assistant was correct, but they do look very similar

Sounds like you have got 2 males or 2 females if they look identical, the males will have the larger fins with much more color while females will have a yellowish/grey body and not much fin coloration. 2 females is fine for now, 2 males however will most likely tussle a bit over territory.. Best to return one of the males and get 2 females for your one remaining male when possible..

I can't get a pic of the two of them together
But here's photos of them separately ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398889664.759688.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398889677.981852.jpg

Thanks

They're basically the same size
I just got pics of them together
One is slightly paler, but it looks a lot paler in the photo

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398890540.069295.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398890557.021471.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398890572.827197.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398890585.795102.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398890600.809365.jpg

The darker is chasing? Looks like bullying has already begun.. I'd keep the lighter one and return the aggressor..

Ok. Thanks

And thanks for the quick replies

I wish LFS staff would get their act together. He kept saying that you sexed them by a shorter dorsal fin

But as you say, the chasing has begun already

Ok. Thanks And thanks for the quick replies I wish LFS staff would get their act together. He kept saying that you sexed them by a shorter dorsal fin But as you say, the chasing has begun already
hes a bozo;) check it out... Male and female.. It's rather simple if you have any idea! image-70550083.jpg image-1273273418.jpg
He may have gotten away with that method if rams were in question.. Tell him Brookster said to google it next time and save his customer the gas money

Last edited:
I take it the male is the 1st pic, and the female is more yellow- the 2nd pic ?

This is my 1st tank and only started in December so I kinda had to take the staff at their word!

You got it!! So next time hit us up first! Were always here to help! What is you tank size and stock if you don't mind me asking?

Very last question!
You said I should return the darker bully. The paler one is hiding all the time, obviously because he's being chased
Do you think he will swim in the open once the bully goes back to LFS

Or should I keep the bully, as he stays more visible

20gal
Neon tetra, dwarf gourami, pentazonal barb, & coral platty

I think the hidey boy will be a better community fish as the bully has already shown his true colors..

Id keep the bolder one and return the sissy. He'll probably make a more active beautiful fish. Males are big and colorful females are little and brown or yellow depending if their ready to breed or not.

Attachments

• female.jpg
    female.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 53
Ok, the bully goes then!

I really thank you for you help & the time you have spent

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398892327.967426.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398892291.197212.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398892291.197212.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 49
Initially I was going to return the sissy, before you suggested returning the bully.

I had a betta and I rarely saw him. I don't want to repeat that experience ! Especially since the cockatoos were $25 each !

So you think it's ok that the sissy goes back?
I suppose it's only really a guessing game anyway in the end

True... I've only had experience with my one male whereas I'm guessing thecommcich has had experience with many... I'm sure either way you'll be fine..

Ok

Thanks

The sissy goes back in the morning then. He'll be damaged goods by then anyway (psychologically I mean, hopefully not physically !!)

Ok Thanks The sissy goes back in the morning then. He'll be damaged goods by then anyway (psychologically I mean, hopefully not physically !!)
so long as he doesn't stumble into the wrong cave;) it seems the most tragic events happen in the cover of darkness...

Back
Top Bottom