Male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is anyone good as telling whether fish are males or females?

These Pictures were taken about a month or so ago and since then I have split the tank up. I have another tank cycling to put the ones that don't belong in

Attachments

• image-4030700941.jpg
    image-4030700941.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image-334144487.jpg
    image-334144487.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image-2492326737.jpg
    image-2492326737.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 117
Yellow lab, a jack dempsy, black convict, and two electric blue haps. And yes I know these don't belong in one tank. Even though I have yet to have any issues they are being rehomed and split up. I just need to figure out the sex and which I want to keep

Thanks I will get a better pick as soon as I get home

My jd is somewhat camera shy unlike my blk convict who tries to get in every picture with his one fin lol poor guy. So excuse the bad pics and the cloudy water. Another issue I'm dealing with. About to do another 50% water change

Attachments

• image-3358600196.jpg
    image-3358600196.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-11980786.jpg
    image-11980786.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-4045525054.jpg
    image-4045525054.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 114
Thats a tough one but I'm sticking with female by the gill plates and the rear anal/dorsal fins. How large is the fish?

Who's beating the heck out of your fish, the convict is missing a fin and the Hap has skin missing on his forehead?

Last edited:
I want to say a little over 3 in. No larger then 4pm

No injury on them. That is their white streak. Which I know females have more then the males. One has a little red on his anal fin and the other I'm not so sure about . The only fish I have with an injury is my black convict who I bought with only one fin. He is in the process of regrowing.

@kat. You are right my lab does have the vertical bars on his eyes. He is the ruler of the tank. Lol I have to split my tank up and I am attached to all of them. So if anyone has any advice as to which fish I should get rid of and which I should keep I would appreciate it. Even though currently there aren't any problems I know in the future there will be and don't want them hurting one another. I have two electric blue haps still a debate on male or female. One jd which is most likely female. One lab male and one black convict male. I can't part with the convict I have a soft spot for his one fin! Lol

No injury on them. That is their white streak. Which I know females have more then the males. One has a little red on his anal fin and the other I'm not so sure about . The only fish I have with an injury is my black convict who I bought with only one fin. He is in the process of regrowing.

I couldnt tell from that angle, I'm aware of the blaze keeping and selling these fish but it looked isolated to a little spot.

It is . It's a very small red so I didn't know if that was because they weren't t mature or that was it lol

Actually it's only the one that has red on the fins. I don't believe the other one does. I will have to do a closer inspection. And get much better pictures.

Back
Top Bottom