Male or Female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys, I personally think it is a male just because it has been with a definite alpha male for over year and I've tried to breed them but they show now signs of interest. Also the anal fin have a slight point (kinda hard to see in the pic). But I have heard with jacks and convicts that if two of males are kept together the least dominant can start slightly resemble a female in order to escape from constant bullying, any body know anything about that?

I usually sex them by looking at the gill plate, males don't have blue on them. However, just like with the other body traits, so much selective/line breeding has been done with these cichlids that males can show female traits and vice versa.

Given that they are a year+ old, is there a major size difference? All of my males are much larger than the females.

Well it is only like a half to an inch smaller so I figured it may have been because its less dominant and does not get quite as much food

Back
Top Bottom