Male or female jewel cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

differenter2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455663350.786068.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455663376.833003.jpg
I tired to get a pic of my jewel's vent I don't know if it would help though and a standard picture. Sometimes he/she will turn REALLY red like almost his/her full body.

IMO a female, big belly full of eggs is a tell tale sign. Also, female rams get pink bellies too before laying eggs, so based of that it's more evidence that it's a female. Just a guess, and nice fish!

IMO a female, big belly full of eggs is a tell tale sign. Also, female rams get pink bellies too before laying eggs, so based of that it's more evidence that it's a female. Just a guess, and nice fish!

Thanks for the reply! Ohh eggs? Would she breed with the other cichlids in the tank (mbuna and peacock and haps) or do they just make infertile eggs by themselves? I have noticed she's been super aggressive lately and she's normally a pretty chill fish.

Thanks for the reply! Ohh eggs? Would she breed with the other cichlids in the tank (mbuna and peacock and haps) or do they just make infertile eggs by themselves? I have noticed she's been super aggressive lately and she's normally a pretty chill fish.

Well, female fish always have eggs in them. Sometimes, they just get in that "mood" and they make a ton to the point where they have to lay some. If she's guarding a particular spot, check and see for eggs. I'm 99% sure that she won't cross breed with the other species in the tank. But yes, laying infertile eggs can happen.

Well, female fish always have eggs in them. Sometimes, they just get in that "mood" and they make a ton to the point where they have to lay some. If she's guarding a particular spot, check and see for eggs. I'm 99% sure that she won't cross breed with the other species in the tank. But yes, laying infertile eggs can happen.

Yeah her and my male auratus made a nest and are guarding... Omg what if they bred? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455678988.320393.jpg
Lol this is a pic of them in their little hide out. I thought they picked that spot because that's the side of the tank I feed them on.

Haha that's a great pic. Again, by no means am I an expert so who knows, maybe they did breed together. Look and see if you can find eggs/fry

Haha that's a great pic. Again, by no means am I an expert so who knows, maybe they did breed together. Look and see if you can find eggs/fry

Those would be some interesting fry, I'll keep an eye out unless they were eaten already. I have a hap that's always "snooping" around in there but he normally gets chased away.

They have completely different breeding styles and to my knowledge will not interbreed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom