male or female peacock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danstroud1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I bought 4 juvenile peacocks about 3 months ago. Supposedly two female and two male. The two that are supposed to be male are now around 3 inches and are still very drab. They just have slight orange on their fins. Do you think I have been given 4 females by mistake? here is a picture of one of the 'males'. Thanks

ForumRunner_20120727_110021.jpg

Just looks like a juvenile eureka red to me. Peacocks can take a whole to really color up. What are its tank mates?

well aside from the other peacocks, about 15 mbuna and a couple of haps. i know that can be a bad mix but i got told it should be ok in my tank as its 600 litres (not sure what that is in us gallons). they never seem to get picked on.

At 3 months its not surprising they aren't colorful yet especially around a bunch of mbuna. My OB began to color up around 4 months old and now at about 8 months he is astonishing. I would give it a lil more time.

I didn't say they were 3 months old I said I've had them 3 months and they are about 3 inches long! Hopefully they will colour up soon

A few years back i put a couple german red peacock males in my mbuna tank and they reached 4.5" and never colored up. Im pretty sure it was due to the mbuna stressing them. I since moved them to a peacock only tank at my buddys house and they are beautiful. So what im trying to get at here is they may never color up nicely in the midst of mbuna. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom