Male or female Red Devil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zip

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First time I've ever made an account for any sort of forum or made a post of any kind, so I hope I'm not making a mistake by making a new thread. Im simply curious as to the sex of my RD. Even reading up on a lot of different posts/sites I haven't found any concrete advice to sex the fish, so here I am. Thanks in advance! Sorry about the pics, he/she isn't very photogenic.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 80
It's difficult to sex when young, unless you vent it. Older fish are easier: males will usually develop a pronounced hump. Males are also typically larger than females. Without a secobd fish to compare vents, it's difficult to tell m from f, but males tend to have a somewhat pointed genital papilla, while female's are more flat. Red Devils normally pair for life, so if you're looking for a breeding pair, and your tank is large enough, you could get several more juveniles, wait until you get a mated pair, then rehome the rest. Would take a large tank though; I would say at least a 180g. Barring that, someone at your favorite LFS should be able to vent it for you.

Back
Top Bottom