Max number of peacocks in a 40 g breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticAl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I am wondering how many full grown peacocks you think I could get away with having in my 40 g breeder with ample filtration and 50% weekly pwc. I have quite a few juvies in my tank right now and plan on holding on to the best looking ones and selling the rest. I attached a picture of my set up in which I plan on adding even more hiding places. I am okay with bending the rules slightly but wanted to get an idea on the max number of fishfor this set up. Thanks Al

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 162
I'd say none because a 4' + should be used to house them, but if you are set on keeping them in there I would say 4-5 with all but one of those being females.

Look at zebra danios. They don't do well in 10g tanks, though they are small enough that the width of the tank would be pretty much proportional to a peacock in a 40b. I've seen mbuna in a 3' tank, and they weren't nearly as active as they were in my 5' tank.

I'm at a computer now so I can respond properly.
Look at zebra danios. They don't do well in 10g tanks, though they are small enough that the width of the tank would be pretty much proportional to a peacock in a 40b. I've seen mbuna in a 3' tank, and they weren't nearly as active as they were in my 5' tank.
Mogurako said:
Volume wise it is probably big enough but they need the extra length for swim space.

I understand that. I keep danios in a 40b and have kept them in my 125 and they are even more active in the 125, but that wouldn't lead me to suggest a 125g minimum for that particular fish.

I'm just trying to understand the basic stocking guideline that people use with africans, and why a total surface area isn't the main factor.

A 40b is a foot shorter than a standard 55 but it's also 6" wider along it's entire length, so it has more front to back room and overall an extra .5 cu foot of horizontal swim space in total. It's negatives are that it lacks height and 15 gallons of volume, so I could see a potential bioload being limited by that.

Back
Top Bottom