Mbuna and driftwood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lapintoxic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just found out some nice pieces of driftwood that someone was selling off Craigslist and wanted to add them to my 55G mbuna tank but I wanted to get some advice.

I have soaked them in hot water as I don't have a pot big enough to boil them - The biggest piece barely fit in a 20G tank.
Now I am checking the Ph of the soaking tank and the PH did drop from around 8 to 7.2 with little discoloration of the water.

I really want to add them to the tank for hiding places and for looks but at the same time I do not want to get my fish in a bad place. I got the wood on Sunday so I still have plenty of time to let the tannins leach out which would hopefully help the situation and I just ordered some Florida crushed coral off Amazon to put in my 55G HOB filter as well as in my Canister Filter. I might mix some with the pool sand to.

Do you guys think this will be okay or should I avoid this altogether and maybe look for other type driftwood (which would be harder and more expensive to find.

I will add pictures in a couple minutes (as I am not exactly sure what type of driftwood that is, probably african)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom