Mbuna suggestions for 4ft 45 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! Ill be giving a tank to my mom and helping her set it up how she wants it. She has always just had your basic community fish, but she always showed alot of interest in my mbuna tank so im trying to get some options for her. Problem is the tank is smaller then usually recommended, but has the same footprint as a 55 gallon (usually seen as minimum for most). Tank measures 48x12x18" and ill make sure she has 10x filtration as well.

Any ideas? I told her it would be easier for her to do one or two species and i will be helping her get her gender ratios good. So is she stuck with dwarf mbuna? Or could a couple electric yellows or something be ok as well given the footprint? Looking for a colourful but (reasonably) docile stocking.

Thanks in advance!

I see no problem with some full size mbuna, I know you are pretty educated on them, I'm sure you can make a nice stocking. Some electric yellows and rustys would be nice!

I see no problem with some full size mbuna, I know you are pretty educated on them, I'm sure you can make a nice stocking. Some electric yellows and rustys would be nice!

I appreciate the compliment! I dont see an issue with space, but i am far from knowing anywhere close to everything lol The smaller water volume i would think means she shouldnt have as many as a 55 gallon, or else she'd have to be very on top of checking her nitrate collections. Does anybody have recommendations for a stocking amount if we went with some fullsized ones like labs? Ive only really looked into my 75 gallon, but i beleive people usually recommend around 15 for a 55? So stay around 12 or so to be safe full grown?

Also definately feel free to recommend some species she might like that shouldnt be too much of a handful!

Back
Top Bottom