Mbuna tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't cover it (seal) with anything and thanks. I copy and pasted what I said in the article here ya go

step 9: Wait until fully dry then repeat steps 7 and 8 two or three more times. note : you can get an aquarium safe epoxy to cover the entire thing such as loctite marine epoxy but I didn’t do it and I have had no problems

Ah. I overlooked that. I guess "Seal all around it and add sand to if it you want to try to make it blend in with the things you already have in your tank." confused me, but you meant seal it with the paint/quickcrete mix, right? I would think that the concrete would sap the acid from the water and raise the pH? Oh also, what type of paint did you use?

Labenator65000 said:
Ah. I overlooked that. So your outer coating is really just paint/quickcrete mix? I would think that the concrete would sap the acid from the water and raise the pH? Oh also, what type of paint did you use?

Oh also, what type of paint did you use?[/QUOTE]
paint??
I didn't use any but some people do

So your outer coating is really just paint/quickcrete mix? I would think that the concrete would sap the acid from the water and raise the pH?

The ph will go up, did I leave that out? Africans like the high ph so it doesn't really make a big deal. For other tanks that you don't want it to go up just soak it in water and keep testing ph and changing the water every couple days till it doesn't go up anymore.

I used quickrete color its not a paint is this what your talking about?

Last edited:
...I used quickrete color its not a paint is this what your talking about?[/QUOTE said:
Yeah I thought you meant paint. I needed to look up the product to understand that it colors the quickrete mix. It does look great. You have inspired me to consider this DIY project. Thanks for the tip.

Here are some pics of my DIY PVC pipe background. I think I spent a total of $35 at lowes. My yellow labs and red zebras love it

Attachments

• image-444616995.jpg
    image-444616995.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2472603366.jpg
    image-2472603366.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3283370029.jpg
    image-3283370029.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 118
Diego21 said:
Here are some pics of my DIY PVC pipe background. I think I spent a total of $35 at lowes. My yellow labs and red zebras love it

I was also able to install it with my fish already in the tank

Diego21 said:

Please, how did you do it? It looks great, and would like to try it myself.

I can't take credit for the idea but it was really easy. I used 3 inch PVC pipe, cut it to the size I needed, use great stuff foam to attach the tubes together, cut out the holes with a dremel tool, make sure you cut out a space on the top and bottom of the tubes just in case a dead fish floats or sinks you can get it out. Now spread great stuff foam over the entire front of the PVC pipes. You can make it as thick or thin as you want it, also you can add weight and texture to the caves by putting rocks in the foam, you need to add weight cause the PVC and foam WILL float. Also I capped off the end pipes and filled them with sand. Once the foam dried I bought 4 cans of krylon fusion paint and painted the entire setup a few times. I have had it in my tank for over a month. All my parameters are normal and the fish love it

Check out brimi925 DIY PVC aquarium caves on YouTube, you can watch it being built

Labenator65000 said:
I wonder if there are toxins that could leach after time.

Not that I am aware of, as long as the foam is cured, it is inert, just as well as the paint, that's why it's important to use krylon fusion, it's the same chemically treated paint that aquarium decoration makers use for their products. It's made specifically for plastics and acrylic.

Here's my latest. I got now 28 mbunas and will add my 2 pictus soon. Also got more rocks this morning from Petsmart. Here's the setup. Good?
Btw I am not getting any more fish...

Attachments

• image-2209515255.jpg
    image-2209515255.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 79
FishyBusiness said:
Here's my latest. I got now 28 mbunas and will add my 2 pictus soon. Also got more rocks this morning from Petsmart. Here's the setup. Good?
Btw I am not getting any more fish...

28 is a lot of Cichlids for a 90 gallon. 10-12 more then what I would have recommended.

I was aiming for close to 20-25 but I know I'm gonna have to get rid of some when mature. Well, that's what I "planned" on happening...

FishyBusiness said:
I was aiming for close to 20-25 but I know I'm gonna have to get rid of some when mature. Well, that's what I "planned" on happening...

We all well most of us like Malawi and myself have a lot. I have like 30-40 more then I was planning on. Haha just keep a close eye on them. ;)

Diego21 said:
How many 1-3 inch cichlids would you recommend for a 75g?

15-18 to start but you'll end up with more like us lol :)

Back
Top Bottom