Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol, thats a silly way of looking at things. In your eyes antibiotics should have been completely ignored by the aquarium community because they were made for humans.

I wish I woulda read this thread before I used pimafix and melafix to try and treat cloud eye. It only made my water stink and the cloud eye is still there. Since I've been doing bigger more frequent water changes it's getting a little better. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Lol, thats a silly way of looking at things. In your eyes antibiotics should have been completely ignored by the aquarium community because they were made for humans.

I'm not discrediting antibodics for fish but we all know certain medications work for certain illnesses, I don't recall my fish ever contracting herpes. I just filled my Valtrex so they didn't get it from me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Every single fish med ive ever seen treats the exact same thing in humans. Antibiotics work on specific types of bacteria, metronidazole works on parasites and gram negative anaerobic bacteria, the list goes on. In fact, having a decent knowledge of fish meds helped in the pharmacology class I took. To discredit anything related to humans for medications shows a lack of understanding of the basis for meds.

Melafix USUALLY worked great for me. Recently I used it on my main tank to treat one beat fish. And it worked wonderfully. On the otherhand I had a pleco find it's way out of my tank and flop around for 3 hours. When I put him back in The tank he began to recover. He had such bad sores so I decided to try melafix. One week later he died It either stressed him out or it was from the incident

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Melafix USUALLY worked great for me. Recently I used it on my main tank to treat one beat fish. And it worked wonderfully. On the otherhand I had a pleco find it's way out of my tank and flop around for 3 hours. When I put him back in The tank he began to recover. He had such bad sores so I decided to try melafix. One week later he died It either stressed him out or it was from the incident

I'm pretty sure Pleco's don't appreciate the drop in oxygen levels that Melafix creates, try to extra-oxygenate your tank when using Melafix.

Regardless if Melafix works or not, Basically every thing it claims to help can taken care of by keeping the water pristine and feeding high quality foods.

I'm pretty sure Pleco's don't appreciate the drop in oxygen levels that Melafix creates, try to extra-oxygenate your tank when using Melafix.

I agree, airstone and surface aggitaion are a must as it creates an oil slick that deprives the gas exchange process..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Regardless if Melafix works or not, Basically every thing it claims to help can taken care of by keeping the water pristine and feeding high quality foods.

It caters to those who'd rather dump something in than take something out;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know about the effects and when using melafix I crank up the air

Back
Top Bottom