Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13stingeln

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you guys think of it? Does this work good with nipped fins? It's making my water kind of gross?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with Mog. I treat 99% of all problems I have had with water changes. Sometimes 50 to 75% daily until symptoms are gone then ease back to 50% weekly.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay nice to know! I just did a water change so hopefully things look up!

It has mild antibacterial properties. Its fine to use as a prophylactic, however never use it to treat full blown infections.

It has mild antibacterial properties. Its fine to use as a prophylactic, however never use it to treat full blown infections.

If that's that's the case you're better off adding Indian almond leaf. It has antibacterial/anti-fungal properties and helps recreate their natural water conditions.

Oh ok!

I bred bettas when I was in school for spending money and that's what I would put in the water to help induce spawning/help them recover.

Also I apologize I forgot we weren't talking about bettas, I haven't had coffee yet ;)

However you can still use the IAL vs melafix if you want to go a more natural route. Large frequent water changes and double dosing stress coat/stress guard works well too if the fins are really bad. Otherwise just keep the water super clean like I was mentioning earlier.

I agree with Mog. I treat 99% of all problems I have had with water changes. Sometimes 50 to 75% daily until symptoms are gone then ease back to 50% weekly.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 Agreed

If that's that's the case you're better off adding Indian almond leaf. It has antibacterial/anti-fungal properties and helps recreate their natural water conditions.

Yes, but indian almond leaves add tannins and reduce ph whereas melafix doesnt.

What do you guys think of it? Does this work good with nipped fins? It's making my water kind of gross?

The only thing Melafix and Pimafix are good for are paperweights. IMO Melafix is a absolutely worthless for what it claims it does, I'll take pristine water conditions all day over Melafix. Why do think things liken fin rot and popeye are generally not found in nature...the endless supply of clean water. If you would like to waste you money on superficial products thats your choice but in the twenty or so years of fishkeeping and breeding fish I haven't needed it yet. And clean water has healed everything from 14" oscars landing on hardwood floors to gashes so large from fighting you'd think their insides would have come out.

I bred bettas when I was in school

I'd keep that to yourself tough guy ;)

Back
Top Bottom