Minimum tank length for oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure how long, I think as long as it's 75+ gallons and is a couple feet wide, it would be fine.

48x24 is a very uncommon tank size. 24" wide tanks in general are not common store fodder.

In America probably but the UK is different. Our tank dimensions seem to be totally different than yours. Always puzzled me why as I know our gallons are different but we both use the same measurements for length.

I had an oscar in a 62''x12x12 75 gallon. Doesn't work well because they're jumpy. I moved it to my 120 gallons(I had 2 of them).
The ideal Minimum is 55 gallons semi high and long.

My buddy got a tank like mine, its a 56 column and only 30" wide. I told him I didn't think it was going to work but just wanted to make sure. I don't really know the swimming habits of Oscars.

My buddy got a tank like mine, its a 56 column and only 30" wide. I told him I didn't think it was going to work but just wanted to make sure. I don't really know the swimming habits of Oscars.
I don't know about the size, but i know oscars out grow 55 gallon tanks in a year or two:)

an oscar can work in a 55gal for a little while, but since the fish can get 14+ inches and the tank is only 12 inches wide inside it doesnt work well. 75/90 gallon are a little better suited since they are both usually 18 inches.

an oscar can work in a 55gal for a little while, but since the fish can get 14+ inches and the tank is only 12 inches wide inside it doesnt work well. 75/90 gallon are a little better suited since they are both usually 18 inches.
a 55 gal is 48'' O_O
And red oscars get 12'' fyi.

a 55 gal is 48'' O_O
And red oscars get 12'' fyi.

Yes, 48 inches long, 12 wide and 21 tall for a 55 gallon. the 48 inch part isnt the bad measurement for an oscar.

a heathy oscar can get well over 12 inches, dont believe what petsmart tells you.

Yes, 48 inches long, 12 wide and 21 tall for a 55 gallon. the 48 inch part isnt the bad measurement for an oscar.

a heathy oscar can get well over 12 inches, dont believe what petsmart tells you.
There is no petsmart in canada:)
I did a lot of research, red oscars can go at most 14'', only tigers and ect can got a bit more. But only in optimal conditions.
But if you look, a 75 is 48" x 18" x 21" and 90 is 48" x 18" x 24"

sorry do derail thread op, in my opinion, one oscar would be ok for life with a minimum tank footprint of 48x18 inches.

Back
Top Bottom