Minimum tank size for discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCieParagon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I currently have a 48 gallon aquarium. Would this be ok for discus? Or should I go a different route?

Also I know that they are schooling but could I get one? Or is it pretty much required to get 4+?

Thanks

I would go a different route.. You could probably do a pair of angels paired with a pair of GBR.
Discus like to be in 5-7 groups and about 55 gallons.

I personally wouldn't do discus in a tank under 75 gallons. Experienced keepers can pull it off, but novice keepers will struggle generally. They do not feel comfortable when alone and require the shoal to be comfortable and exhibit natural behavior. You also run into water quality issues in smaller tanks, a big no-no for discus

Alright, thanks. I'm going to keep my pH at 5.2 or so. It's blackwater. I want to get a nanochromis transvestitus too because they do well in low pH tanks. Maybe some cardinal tetras then I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright, thanks. I'm going to keep my pH at 5.2 or so. It's blackwater. I want to get a nanochromis transvestitus too because they do well in low pH tanks. Maybe some cardinal tetras then I guess.

Transvestitus aren't a very common species, a nice western african riverine though. You probably wouldn't be able to keep them with discus anyway, discus prefer it to be much warmer than most fish tolerate, like 84 F. Rams can tolerate it, but I don't think any of the nanochromis species would fair well with them

Transvestitus aren't a very common species, a nice western african riverine though. You probably wouldn't be able to keep them with discus anyway, discus prefer it to be much warmer than most fish tolerate, like 84 F. Rams can tolerate it, but I don't think any of the nanochromis species would fair well with them

Well I definitely like the nanochromis transvestitus. I'm on the waiting list for two stores when they get a pair in. I have a really nice setup for them I think. Low pH, plenty of driftwood and plants. Nice light and lots of space. They are a timid species so I don't want anything too aggressive. Maybe a few betta species go well with them since some of the java tributaries have a pH of around 4. My one fish tank has 5 bettas in it now. My water is around 81 degrees.

I keep one in a 48G with an Angel and a few Rams. I haven't asked it to talk about it's feelings on this but it's been there for some time and is surviving rather well actually. I'm sure there are Discus being kept in far worse situations, and if you ask any Discus i'm sure most of them will tell you that their optimum conditions would be to be in the wild in South America.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom