mistaken fish cycle need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattlll

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am new to cichlid aquarium set up and have just started a thirty gallon cichlid tank. I have started to cycle the aquarium but have made a big mistake. I have introduced two cichlids to speed up the cycling after a pet shop employee suggested it. Now after reading more about ammonia and nitrite levels I am afraid my fish will be adversely effected by a level of 4.0 ppm ammonia level and .50ppm nitrite level (last time i checked). from what iv heard my levels will probably raise even more before balancing out... im concerned about either having long term affects on my fish or even loosing them... so i need advice on what i should do to ensure healthy fish.

any advice will help :) thanks!

We went to a fish store and got much information from the sales person and after reading the article you posted, we were able to get a filter and bacteria filled water from a well established tank. Very excited to see the ammonia and nitrite levels drop to where they belong-should speed it up to just a week instead of several.

Yea.. the forum has several great articles people here have written. Figured it would be more help then me trying to walk you through step by step.. Glad its going good

What type of cichlids do you have there are articles on them too..

ok so now i have another question... im about halfway done with the cycle and my ammonia is at about .25 ppm but now my nitrites are off the charts (about 4 or 5 ppm)... im concerned about my fish and want to lower the nitrite levels as soon as possible.. so i was wondering if there was any way to lower the nitrite levels without water changes. i dont want to slow down the biological filter growth so wanting to limit water changes as much as possible (atleast until my nitrite levels are at 0)...

thanks for the help

ok so now i have another question... im about halfway done with the cycle and my ammonia is at about .25 ppm but now my nitrites are off the charts (about 4 or 5 ppm)... im concerned about my fish and want to lower the nitrite levels as soon as possible.. so i was wondering if there was any way to lower the nitrite levels without water changes. i dont want to slow down the biological filter growth so wanting to limit water changes as much as possible (atleast until my nitrite levels are at 0)...

thanks for the help

Water changes won't hurt your cycle at all, there is very little bacteria in your water column at all its all in your filter and some in your substrate those levels need to be lowered to a safe level

ok thanks! i guess ill just do a quick water change... how much of a change should i do right now?

ok thank you! im gonna go do that right now!

Back
Top Bottom