Mix Angels with other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timanator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy everyone, I searched through the forums and found alot of good Angel fish info. But I am still not able to keep them alive...

I am wondering if it's the company that they have?

I am using a 55 gal tank with a mix of 4 small blue Gouramies, 2 yellow mono's and 2 black mono's(Non of which ever bothers the Angels) a few pleco's and 2 glass fish. Should I add more salt to the tank every time I have to add water?

Thanks. I have went through 6 Angel in the last few month...

Also all my small shrimps disapeared, who could have ate them?

Hiya Timanator and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

Buncha questions before we can figure out any answers:

What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates). What is the salt levels (monos really aren't compatible with the rest of your fish; the level of salt they need to be truly happy is much higher then what the others can comfortably live in. its possible the salt levels killed the shrimp as well if they were FW shrimp)? How long has the tank been established? How often do you water change/gravel vac?

How did you acclimate the angels? How long did they survive, and how did they die (what symptoms)? Were all the fish purchased from the same place?

I doubt the other fish are the culprits, although monos can be territorial with conspecifics; they may see the angels as monos as the body shape is similar. I tend to suspect water parameters or disease, although obviously I cannot omit the other fish completely.

Allivymar said:
Hiya Timanator and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

Buncha questions before we can figure out any answers:

What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates). What is the salt levels (monos really aren't compatible with the rest of your fish; the level of salt they need to be truly happy is much higher then what the others can comfortably live in. its possible the salt levels killed the shrimp as well if they were FW shrimp)? How long has the tank been established? How often do you water change/gravel vac?

How did you acclimate the angels? How long did they survive, and how did they die (what symptoms)? Were all the fish purchased from the same place?

I doubt the other fish are the culprits, although monos can be territorial with conspecifics; they may see the angels as monos as the body shape is similar. I tend to suspect water parameters or disease, although obviously I cannot omit the other fish completely.

I currently have very litle salt in the tank, Water changes every 3 month or so. The tank has been running for about a year now. All fish seems healthy including the mono's...

The Angels were left in the bag on top of the water for an hour or so. They seem fine at first, then one would not even bother to go after the food. A few days later one would die. basicly sink to the bottom barely moving. The next one would die a day later. I got 2 more, and same thing.

After those 4. I now bought 2 very small Angels. And they seems to be ok(3rd day)right now, aggressively going after the food. I just dont want them to die.

The Shrimps disapeared. I saw one yesterday, now I cant find any. Even when I get up at midnight and go check the tank with a flashlight, no sign of them. Must been eaten?

Ahh ok. I see a possible prob. If I read you correctly, you acclimated the fish to temps only (by floating the bag). Its very possible they suffered from pH shock or to the levels of nitrates in the tank (were you able to get parameters?). For future reference, you may want to acclimate the fish by adding small amounts of tank water to the lfs bag with the fish in it over an hour or so until its full. While a diff in pH or if your tank has high levels of nitrates will still stress the fish, hopefully a slow acclimation will reduce some of that stress. I also suggest quarantining all new fish so they don't bring anything nasty into the tank (and if they do have a disease, you can treat them without having to treat the healthy fish).

Angels are fairly hardy overall (I have a tankful), but do need to be acclimated properly; I have a feeling thats the issue. The parameters in the tank the newest angels were in are likely closer to your tanks, hence the improved survival rate. Can't be sure (obviously) until we can find out what your parameters are.

As for the shrimp. Its possible one of the fish chowed on them, especially if they caught the shrimp molting. Its also possible you may find them cruising around the tank 2 weeks from now *grin* they are consumate hiders.

Thanks Allivymar, I will buy a PH meter and start paying more attention to acclimation process next time. Meanwhile I will keep looking for the shrimps at midnight with a flashlight...

Can I also suggest "more" frequent water changes :wink:
I try to change 10% weekly. If that's not possible, I will then do 20% on 2 weeks.
I've had 3 of my angels for almost a year now(christmas)

As far as acclimating them, I float the bag for 15 min and then gradually start adding "my" tank water to the bag.
45 min later, I empty all the water from the bag into the sink and just add the fish to the tank.(this is what has worked for me)
Good luck and keep us posted.
You can also buy the liquid master test kit for around $20 for FW.
It includes PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, KH/GH

And is the salt you add marine salt mix or is it aquarium salt? The aquarium salt is generally NaCl only and of no real benifit. If those mons want brackish water then they need maine salt mix to achieve that. Many brackish fish do well when young in low salt to freshwater conditions but need more brackish as they age. This will not work well with your other fish.

Well, so far so good guys, both of my Angels are alive and kicking and fighting aggressively after food.

I add ocean salt(Mined salt?) from a local pets place's recommandation for the health of my Beta's and the Angels. The gouramies dont seem to suffer.

Also, still no sight of the shrimps....

Back
Top Bottom